Thread: problems using hotmail w/firefox

problems using hotmail w/firefox

Hi all,
    Not totaly sure where to post this, but since im getting the error with my mac, i figured here would be a good place to start. Recently (the past 2 months or so) i have been unable to delete messages in my hotmail account when using my firefox browser on an OS 10.3 powerbook G4. I can move messages to other folders, navigate my account, and change settings, but i cannot delete emails in ANY folder (inbox, junk, personal folders, etc) when using firefox. I switch to IE and Safari and the problem goes away (for those two browsers). I didnt make any changes to my firefox settings to have made this happen. Ive tried adding "www.hotmail.com" to my trusted site list, and cleared cache and history. Disabled my software firewall (netbarrier x3) and have used random wifi and cat5 connections to check my email. None of this works for firefox. Has anyone else come across this problem, or know of a possible fix? Thanks for your help.

-z3

FYI, i primarily use my mac as i am always on the go. I havent recently tried checking my hotmail with firefox on a win or *nix box, and do not know if I would encounter the same error. Also, when i check an email and then click 'delete', the little "im your browser's icon letting you know im doing something" doesnt even flinch.

Firefox has a pretty good forum that might be of some help.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38

Banned
    Just out of curiosity, what browser ID are you using?

You might try a MSIE id. It is a Microsoft site after all.

Im not totaly sure what you mean by broswer ID, and am not sure where to find it. I can tell you that im using FF ver. 1.0 for OSX. If you could let me know what/where my browser ID is, maybe i can help further. Thanks.

-z3

<edit>
    now, not only can i not delete emails, i cant send new emails w/ FF. I have tried composing new, and also replying to an email. I can compose the email, but cannot send the completed email.
    </edit>

Banned
    Browser ID should be in the preferences dialog somewhere.. I don't have Firefox rightnow, so I can't find it...

But what it is is a little code that the browser sends to the website to identify itself. Many websites have separate pages for IE, Mozilla, whatever. Pages that are optimized for the different browsers.

on a side note, try clearing all your temp files/cache/cookies. Sometimes a bad file likes to hang around and cause issues.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Spyrus,
    already tried clearing cache/cookies/history/temp files with no success.

Is anyone here familiar with FF on a mac? I know that the browser itself is pretty much the same, but I know from checking settings on my XP box, and then trying to check the same settings on my mac leads me to look in much diferent places. Thank you all for your help, keep the suggestions comming :-)

-z3

My suggestion: Definitely try to check with firefox on a Win box and/or on a *Nix Box aswell. Then variate the browsers (maybe on a mac it works with another browser? vice versa with a different O/S?). Experiment for a little bit and see if you see a pattern developing.

Also, in the firefox readme file, it should tell you where your Browser ID is located. I also don't have Firefox installed at the current time so I'm trying to help as best as I can. The Help/Readme file should help you locate your Browser ID. Well, report back with your findings and PM me if you need more assistance/a better explanation of what we're talking about.
    Space For Rent.. =]