Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a laptop/notebook

You can certainly get third party MoBos to fit brand name laptops.

Alienware and some others also do removable video.

I guess if you buy cheap you get what you pay for?

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll probablly end up with a Toshiba. Do you guys suggest I stick with their default (which I guess is onboard) video card, or somehow get one that fits in their that isnt onboard?

I am afraid that you will be stuck with the onboard video.

Remember that laptops are not designed for graphics intensive applications.

Okay well thanks again for your help.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I have a toshiba laptop and I have had it for about 2 years now and have been extremely happy with it. And yes, they pretty much are virtually indestructable. I had it sitting on my table once. It was plugged into the wall and my dog ran under the table and caught the wire, and my dog took the laptop with it! Well the toshiba came crashing to the floor. I shouted at my dog and told him how worthless he was, then picked up my laptop to find that it was working just fine, not a scratch on it...

After I made sure everything was fine I apologized to my dog and gave him a bone ...

I strongly recommend toshiba laptops, over any laptop I can think of...

Only downside is their technical support can barely speak english...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Regal Making Handler
    I can get the video card out of my Inspiron in less than 5 minutes. Apart from the lid cracking around the hinges ( fixed with super glue). Its been a great box.

If and when I replace it, I will look at the Sony Vao range............The once I have seen so far look much better, build quality wise.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Thanks again for everyones' support. I'll definatly get a Toshiba.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    If it's not too late take a look at Acer laptops.

I've used a couple and although possibly not the prettiest laptops they do seem to be well made and have a nice solid feel to them. They're usually well specced for the price.

i too can speak very well of acers.

mine is a bit of the lowend system as i yust wanted something to take to the different sites i travebetween but it served me very well.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?