Thread: Linux Programs

Linux Programs

Hi,
    Lately I've been trying out linux. I have slackware installed on an old box, and am starting to get pretty comfortable with it. My main problem is I don't really understand how to install/uninstall programs. I can use existing things just fine, and can run through a setup step-by-step, but can someone please explain it to me?
    Thanks
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

This is actually a question that should be directed to google.
    http://thelinuxapprentice.com/uninstalllinx.html Will explain it to you. But, I will give you a couple books you should try to find or atleast get an E-copy of. Running Linux, Linux System administration, and the linux cookbook. All books that will answer what you are wonder plus a **** load of other questions.

It depends on whether you're installing binary files or if you're compiling from the source. Usually binaries are in .rpm files. Slackware should have tools to manage rpm package managers that can install and uninstall software (if not just download the program 'rpm' and you should get some info from the man page).

If you have to compile from the source, most of the time you just untar the source, cd into the source's directory, type "./configure," then "make," login as root and type "make install." Almost all software comes with a README or INSTALL file that you should read for specific instructions. Uninstalling things you've compiled from the source is a bit trickier unless it has an uninstall script.

Hope this helps.
    \"Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning. A non-functioning mind is clinically dead.
    Believe in nothing...\"

type "man rpm"

;-)

Re: Linux Programs

Originally posted here by Jareds411
    Hi,
    Lately I've been trying out linux. I have slackware installed on an old box, and am starting to get pretty comfortable with it. My main problem is I don't really understand how to install/uninstall programs. I can use existing things just fine, and can run through a setup step-by-step, but can someone please explain it to me?
    Thanks
    type pkgtool

As for RPM, why would you tell someone using Slackware to play with RPMs which aren't supported by Slackware?

Banned
    Cause he has no clue what he's talking about.

RPM = Redhat Package Management

Slack uses tarballs.

Originally posted here by d0pp
    Cause he has no clue what he's talking about.

RPM = Redhat Package Management

Slack uses tarballs.

RPMs will install on most distributions for those who don't want to deal with tarballs and sources.
    \"Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning. A non-functioning mind is clinically dead.
    Believe in nothing...\"

So? tgz is what Slackware and Free BSD use, it works :

installpkg