'Pay-as-you-go' road charge plan + car tracking (UK)

Thread: 'Pay-as-you-go' road charge plan + car tracking (UK)

Frustrated Mad Scientist

'Pay-as-you-go' road charge plan + car tracking (UK)

Drivers could pay up to 1.34 a mile in "pay-as-you go" road charges under new government plans.

The transport secretary said the charges, aimed at cutting congestion, would replace road tax and petrol duty.

Alistair Darling said change was needed if the UK was to avoid the possibility of "LA-style gridlock" within 20 years.

Every vehicle would have a black box to allow a satellite system to track their journey, with prices starting from as little as 2p per mile in rural areas.
    For the full article : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4610755.stm

The beeb stories doesn't mention very strongly that the system would track all of your movements in the vehicle: where, when and how fast.
    It also doesn't mention all the associated costs that would be created by the system, for the black boxes, for the administration to issue the taxes for the fines they will find ways to issue (speeding, parking, traffic violations etc).

God I hate Tony Blair. Grinning ***** that he is.

Hmmm,

What is the heap of sh1t going to do about the scum vandalising my wife's car (automobile)? Like it just got back from the repair shop and is re-vandalised that night?

God I hate Tony Blair. Grinning ***** that he is.

Hmmm...............and my grandma was from Edinbugh ..................the other one was from Dublin

hmm.. I hear.. will charge you for traveling.. and we will stop chargeing you for useing Petrolium ..

reality.. you will be tracked, charged for travelling in the wrong areas.. auto booked for speeding, and other traffic offences.. oh as well the charge per km.. and to top it off they will keep the fuel tax..

hey nihil.. is you government so kind to charge you VAT on the included TAXes..or is it fuel+VAT + misc tax(calculated on the before vat cost)?

bah I whine... you know the old joke.. how do you know when a politician is lying?

his lips are moving
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Regal Making Handler
    Me thinks Maggies poll tax riots will pale, compared to what maybe on the way.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Flash M0nkey
    well the only point i dont think that has been raised about the tracking of speeding etc is that if you're not doing anything wrong (sticking to speed limits etc) then you've got nothing to worry about.

v_Ln

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    You could argue why don't we have 70mph speed limiters on all vehicles in the UK.

It would be down to social outcry and nothing else. Any government that tried to introduce it would be voted out. I think there is a perception of a difference in being caught by say a police driver than by a camera or the tracker. Also I think most normal people find the idea of being contantly monitored by their government as being too much of 'Big Brother'.

I think most people are bit tired of this governments new and ever more devious ways of extracting money from us. Just not tired enough to vote them out.

I think were getting into the situation where the government is targetting speeding on motorways/A roads where in reality speeding is basically a non-issues. Speed cameras should be in towns outside schools etc. Nothing is being adresses to tackle bad/dangerous/drunk driving. This scheme is just another one to get more cash whilst ignoring that fact you could be pissed as a fart driving right up the arse of the car in front but you're almost certain to get away with it as long as you don't go above 70.
    Meanwhile I had a friend who got a serious kicking in the middle of the town he got himself up ran round the corner and met a police officer and was able to point out the guy that assaulted him. The police were not interested and told him to come down to the station the next day because "he wasn't going to deal with it right then". My mate had the boot print of the guys shoe on his face. I've had my cars broken into twice, my neighbour had his keyed, my GF was assaulted in her last school 3 times. The police did **** all but still managed to stop her for doing 80 on a dual carrigeway the same day.

I am surprised the US government didnt beat you UK guys to it.

Hey, your not doing anything wrong why worry about it.

Just think... first they start tracking your speeding. Then they start tracking where you go in the interest of "National Security" or some such claim. Then one day a giant computer controlls cars because of human error. Next you will be slaves like in some Macintosh commercial.

Meanwhile I had a friend who got a serious kicking in the middle of the town he got himself up ran round the corner and met a police officer and was able to point out the guy that assaulted him. The police were not interested and told him to come down to the station the next day because "he wasn't going to deal with it right then". My mate had the boot print of the guys shoe on his face. I've had my cars broken into twice, my neighbour had his keyed, my GF was assaulted in her last school 3 times. The police did **** all but still managed to stop her for doing 80 on a dual carrigeway the same day.
    Helping you does not make revanue for your county. Tickets make good money for those city and state coffers.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)