Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downgrade windows media player10?

Downgrade windows media player10?

I recently installed windows media player10....due to some reasons i have decided to stick to the 9 series....now how do i downgrade to 9? it can't be uninstalled
    thx

-win XP sp2

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Considering how IE, Windows, WMP, and everything else out of Redmond integrates together, you are probably SOL.

format /u C:

reinstall windows

Yeah, probably not much help, but if you can't uninstall it, and it's not *really* a security issue, this probably isn't the best place to find hard-core MS code guru's who might have a better idea of what you can do; you might get lucky from other members, but I doubt it. Good luck.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

* Click the START button and select Run.
    * Type in: regedit in the command box.
    * When the regedit window appears, expand the HKEY LOCAL MACHINE by clicking on the plus sign to its right.
    * Now Click on the plus next to SOFTWARE, then MICROSOFT, then WINDOWS, then CURRENT VERSION and finally UNINSTALL
    * When you expand the Uninstall folder, you'll see all the programs currently installed, such as the uninstall Media Player 10 or Media Player, etc.
    * Click on the folder you want to uninstall, in the box on the right you will see two strings:
    * DisplayName and UninstallString.
    * Double click UninstallString and a box will appear with the uninstall string highlighted.
    * Right click on the highlighted entry and select COPY.
    * Close the Regedit window.
    * Select the START button and click RUN.
    * Right click inside the command box and paste the uninstall string and click OK to uninstall Media Player 10 beta.

You will use this procedure only when the option to uninstall media player 10 beta, 10, 9, or others are not listed in the add / remove programs under the control panel.
    http://www.auditmypc.com/uninstall-m...ayer10beta.asp
    O.G at A.O

Regal Making Handler
    Or use system restore.....................
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by jinxy
    Or use system restore.....................
    That is evil

Ok, that's two folks that have made a liar of me. Time to go back to bed. I shoulda known better then to even get up...it's Monday the 13th.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the system restore feature; I don't know if the default behavior would help spellabc even if it DID work because, knowing Microsoft and the fact that WMP10 has some serious DRM upgrades...this portion may not be removed. But I'm guessing...as I said, I don't know system restore too well nor how it behaves.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

thx guys i will try the regedit thing....coz i disabled system restore (i used to have it on my previous windows ME) and its too troublesome for me to format my drive...

ok i did it and windows media player 10 is downgraded successfully...only that my quick launch bar is missing.....help!!

Regal Making Handler
    Right click on the task bar>properties>check quick launch............reaply your short cuts.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

thx

personally i perfer ver 6.4.09.1130 which came with the original version of w2k (no SP's).

it will play everything ver 10 will, and will use all of the codexs you have for 10. it contains features 10 does not. such as ctrl+enter will put it full screen and the space bar pauses and resumes play.

Version 10 does not need to be un-installed. All you need to do is copy the folder 'as is' onto the machine your using. nothing needs to be registered except the exe needs to be made the default player for ease of use (open with > other and select it). im using it on an XP pro sp2 box with no problems.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”