Virus flood threatens home users
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virus flood threatens home users

Virus flood threatens home users

Virus Flood

Instead of releasing Windows viruses intermittently, many creators of worms and trojans are pumping them out with increasing frequency.

For a while new variants of one virus, called Mytob, were appearing every hour. Some viruses appear in hundreds of different guises.
    If anti-virus companies could produce patches within three hours of the first appearance of a virus, outbreaks would almost disappear ... However, Mr Marx's work has found that although response times from anti-virus companies are improving it still takes them, on average, 10 hours to update scanners and produce patches for new malicious programs.
    Larger companies are generally handling these attacks but the home user and I bet smaller companies are not.
    Wise men talk because they have something to say;
    fools, because they have to say something.
    Plato

And still, the best way (IMO) to avoid the email-born virii is simply to delete/filter your emails that are questionable. 10 hours, while still leaving pleanty of room for infection, isnt all that bad if you are smart about your surfing habits.

my $0.02

-z3

It only takes about 20 minutes to delete Windows and install LINUX.
    That should slow the virus guys down a bit.

But seriously, most virus propagation is through promiscuous settings
    in your browser's javascript, and through email. Good email hygiene
    would probably stop 90% of viruses in their tracks.
    get a ruthless spam filter and live worry-free.

...unless you use warez, then there's no hope for ya.

Viruses are now being auto-generated, so don't look for the variants
    to slow down, until someone gets bored and shuts down those
    virus-writing progs.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Banned
    Funny... I'm in the process of cleaning MyTob from a customer's computer... if anyone wants a copy

It doesn't seem like there are really "new" virii being produced as much as variations of ones that are already in the wild. Maybe they should stop looking for such specific stuff and generalize a little more in the definitions.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Maybe we should just block the transmission of executables via SMTP.... There are a bunch of other ways of transmitting them that are far more secure than SMTP and therefore much better at preventing the spread of viruses.

So, what are the arguments _for_ allowing the transmission of executable contemt via SMTP?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    So, what are the arguments _for_ allowing the transmission of executable contemt via SMTP?
    You mean besides dumbass lazy whiny crybaby users that can't be bothered with how to figure out WinZip, (putty)sftp, (putty)scp, or similar?

Edit:
    I gotta tell ya, I'm also fed up with all the goddamned "wallpaper html-ified" email I get in my (compulsory forced to use) Outlook client w/ Exchange. Plaintext, goddamnit. PLAINTEXT. With 275% of all internet traffic being SPAM related, how in ****s name can you condone Jamie Lou the secretary using a 1.7MB image in her email signature?

Yes, yes, I am overreacting and on a rant...but geezus. If you can't zip it up properly to send, you really don't have any business giving anything to anybody, anywhere, ever, end of discussion so piss off and die. Or am I just too cranky?

</rant>Sorry, bad day. It MUST be this Monday the 13th thing.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Zip files are disallowed.... They can be created as auto execute....

The question is which dumbass, loser, drooling retard home user, (or work user for that matter), needs to receive executable content via SMTP.....

Suggestions?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Regal Making Handler
    There is absolutly no reason for exe's attached to email. If your to tight to pay for a file server there are plenty of free alternatives.....................................but that is just moving the problem from one place to another.
    I'm also fed up with all the goddamned "wallpaper html-ified" email I get in my (compulsory forced to use) Outlook client w/ Exchange.
    I used to hate that too.................I filter that **** out, within outlook, Hehe
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Banned
    It only takes about 20 minutes to delete Windows and install LINUX.
    When linux is used as commanly on the home and office computers, then I can it be targeted for security flaws as much as micro$oft os is. Until then, I guess thats correct.

Does slightly modifying a single virus actually qualify an outbreak of virii? Or would it be an outbreak of a single virus? These mytob mass mailers seem like the work of someone using script kiddy tatics.