Thread: Windows Xp source code

Windows Xp source code

Hello all!
    I was arguing with a friend. He was telling me that he has downloaded the source code of windows Xp, Sp1 and Sp2. I said this is impossible! Am I right! Microsoft will never give their source code!
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Have him post it....

The liklihood is that he might _think_ he has.... But in reality he has a bunch of crap and wasted his bandwidth.... Hope he didn't pay for it....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

As far as I know, small amounts have been available...............stolen from people MS do business with?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Small bits do not an OS make......

...and if someone had it then it is far from likely that they would make it available for download by anyone... It would create a trail of immense proportions that would, undoubtedly, be followed to the source... endgame....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

What about the infamous MS breakin? hack or what ever....or was that just IE source?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Regal Making Handler
    Small bits do not an OS make...
    They can do if you have enough of them, stuck together with blue tack, just imagin winlix
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I think Bill will suicide if the source code leaked to anyone in the world .... this is how you can differentiate between the open source and the detained source ....

MS will fight to death in order to keep the code set safe and far-off of hands ....
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Regal Making Handler
    As far as I am aware xp souce code has not been leaked. Win NT and 2000 source is what has been leaked or portions of. But this is very old news.

http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?i...&category=main
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

It doesn't matter much though... does it? If one knows what they're doing... they can reverse engineer the binaries. Isn't that how people are writing exploits right after new patches are available? They are reverse engineering both binaries (patched and unpatched) to find the differences and adapting code to exploit the unpatched binaries? Well.. at least that makes sense to me.

Now that I'm taking intro to microprocessors... ASM is so much easier for me to understand. I wish I had taken this class several years ago and didn't put it off for my last class. Even though its for the motorola processor... I can easily just change the instruction set to match Intel's processor. VERY cool stuff. I actually like ASM better than C or C++. Though... it does take a lot more concentration and more code... the results are more satisfying.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.