Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gentoo founder to MS ?

Gentoo founder to MS ?

Seems that Daniel Robbins (pretty much founder of Gentoo Linux) just signed on with Microsoft. I know it is not a security issue, but I think worth discussing none-the-less.

I'm helping Microsoft to understand Open Source and community-based projects.
    What the hell does that mean ?

Now before you say "it means this: jibber, jibber, jibber" I know what it means. I am wondering why MS needs a guy like Daniel Robbins to spell it out. Maybe I'm being ignorant here, but I doubt MS needs the guy who developed Gentoo to tell them what 1000s, probably including their own staff, could tell them. I know he is an expert and all, but still...

( at least he made sure that gentoo.org didn't go down )

So, my question being; what does this mean to the Open Source Community (if anything), and what are your thoughts on this ? Any impact ?
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, don't worry Gentoo **** heads I'm sure he just needs money

Wait!!!
    I HAVE IT!!!! HE SIGNED ON WITH MICROSOFT BECAUSE WINDOWS AND GENTOO ARE THE ONLY OS ON EARTH WITH 2 SECURITY FLAWS A DAY!!!!!!!

LOL

If Bill Gates stuck a fat ass paycheck in my face I wouldn't say no, but then again I didn't found a linux distribution.......

Who knows why the hell MS hired him to "help MS understand Open Source." While a good number of MS staff probably knows what they are talking about when it comes to Open Source, management always likes to have the "big name" guy so they can sleep easy at night not knowing they are overpaying some asshat.

Who knows, who cares. Thanks my opinion
    An ancient chinese man once told me: \"The hotter the tea, the bigger the wang.\"

My tea is extra hot.

Banned
    Gentoo distro is on the forefront of Linux optimization. It even comes w/ Nvidia drivers. It may have not been such a blind move by M$ after all. They are always trying to stir things up by taking away momentum from OS projects. Gentoo has attracted a lot of Linux gamers, which is other area that M$ dominates.

And they know that ie Debian/Slackware ppl won't go that easy... (I do realize that eveyone is up for sale though... at least w/ "that" kind of money)

Maybe the new Xbox is linux.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Banned
    Xbox DEPENDS ON PROPRIETARY ENCYPTION ... therefore it will NEVER Opened Sourced

Originally posted here by gore
    LOL!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, don't worry Gentoo **** heads I'm sure he just needs money

Wait!!!
    I HAVE IT!!!! HE SIGNED ON WITH MICROSOFT BECAUSE WINDOWS AND GENTOO ARE THE ONLY OS ON EARTH WITH 2 SECURITY FLAWS A DAY!!!!!!!

LOL
    Firstly, Gentoo Shitheads .... you don't like it, fine, don't use it - but please don't bag it - its a fine Distro. Linux and Open Source is all about choices and the freedom to choose, never lose sight of that even in a poor attempt at humour. Shithead, indeed !!

Secondly, I would rather have an OS that identifies and fixes 10 flaws every day, rather than one whose developers walk around saying, "Flaws?, yeah flaws - we have identified a couple of them around here, matter of fact your standing on one now !!" (My poor attempt at humour)

Seriously though, good on Daniel - who from all accounts, poured all his time and money into Gentoo Linux. If a 6 or 7 figure annual salary to move over to Microsoft is his reward, I say good on him, he would be certifiably insane to knock it back.

Reality check !! It all about the pay packet - who cares who belongs to the beige boxes, cpu's, hard drives, Operating Systems and Code when they're paying for that extended tropical island resort holiday, tons of money, mansion on the waterfront and quality time with your family and friends - and dont forget the toys - lots and lots of expensive toys - planes, trains and automobiles !!

For those with a problem with Daniels move, here is a piece of free advice "Get over it" you would probably crawl over his bleeding corpse to get the same opportunity - I know I would !!!

Gentoo has attracted a lot of Linux gamers, which is other area that M$ dominates.
    I don't think MS hired this guy to take him away from gentoo linux because they were attracting too many gamers......MS rules the gaming indsutry because companies write their code to run on native windows machines. When gaming companies start writing code to run on native linux machines, then MS will sweat bullets.
    An ancient chinese man once told me: \"The hotter the tea, the bigger the wang.\"

My tea is extra hot.

Xbox DEPENDS ON PROPRIETARY ENCYPTION ... therefore it will NEVER Opened Sourced
    You can still encrypt it and have proprietary application running on an open sourse OS. It would be hilarious though.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Banned
    the only way you can bypass Xbox encryption is either w/ a mod chip or "soft hack" which uses

a bug in signed software (game) to run unsigned software