Thread: eBay adware site

eBay adware site

For extra protection against spyware/adware/malware, I use this HOSTS file from the following site, http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm. It prevents outbound connections to any sites listed in the HOSTS file.

However, when I connect to eBay and click on some links, it blocks the following connection, “The connection was refused when attempting to connect to altfarm.mediaplex.com” and prevents the HTML page from loading. According to Google, mediaplex is an advertising company and direct marketing company. Although it sounds like an innocent site just serving up ads for eBay, should I still block the site from being accessed for addtional security? Sounds like adware to me! or am i just being too paranoid!!

Thanks

Regal Making Handler
    Now that is strange, I cant use the link you provided. I can only get to the page by typing the URI or via google. Perhaps they dislike referals from AO??

As for your question, do you realy want to view their adds? I ask becouse the host file they produced started by blocking adds then moved on to blocking parasitical web sites.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Originally posted here by jinxy
    Now that is strange, I cant use the link you provided. I can only get to the page by typing the URI or via google. Perhaps they dislike referals from AO??

As for your question, do you realy want to view their adds? I ask becouse the host file they produced started by blocking adds then moved on to blocking parasitical web sites.
    Jinxy: It worked fine for me when I took the . off the end of the url.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Regal Making Handler
    It worked fine for me when I took the . off the end of the url.
    Doh.......works for me to.

Thanks, CXGJarrod.

Must have had a Blond moment lol.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Taking a look at the June 2nd file there is an entry that mentions inability to login into eBay UK:
    altfarm.mediaplex.com #[prevents login -ebay.co.uk]
    I keep the mediaplex entries (there are multiple) in there on my machines with no harm...the fewer ads the better IMO.

Well,

I will take the view of Pest Patrol and etrust that it is scumware. They merged with ValueClick a little while back

I would suggest that if they are blocked, and have not taken legal action......................go figure