Thread: Cannot Install W2k

Question Cannot Install W2k

Trying to perform a clean install of W2k Pro on an old W2k Server machine. At first, installation would fail because it couldn't read the inf files, and I kept having CD drive problems, so I swapped drives. After that, it went through installation, only to give me this error:

"This indicates an internal Setup error"
    So I'm left with pressing F3 to quit as my only option, as it will not install. The error isn't even present on MS's support site! So how in the world do I get past that?

Could it be the mobo? Unfortunately, since it's as old as it is (Compaq Deskpro...No, no model number to that, it's that old...I mean the box only says "Compaq Deskpro"), the mobo has no name whatsoever printed on it, so it's anybody's guess what model of mobo it is.

AOs Resident Troll
    Could be a number of things...

You may need a contoller driver?

I have seen this type of error with NT\2K and needing an updated atapi driver....but I think you are gonna need to know the MB name to do that

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hey dude, from the sounds, you may want to try a different Windows CD, as those errors could mean it's been messing up trying to read the system files from it. If you have another CD and a drive you know works, try that out, it may just be the CD though, or you could try dusting it off or cleaning it.

Hi AK,

Would've posted sooner but Firefox generated errors...

These are the results from Microsoft Support...and I used their W2k page in my bookmarks...

http://search.microsoft.com/search/r...ror&view=en-us
    Search Results

I hope your answer is in there.

Eg

Stupid question but have you tried using different CDs? Had a similar problem on a CD that looked fine, switched CDs and presto...almost to me sounds like it is having issues reading the installation disk...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    And we take it as read that a 'clean' install means you ripped out the partition too ?
    and not just trying to load W2KPro onto the recently departed W2KServer's place ?
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

AOs Resident Troll
    Excellent point foxy

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

How about copying the files to the hdd, and try the setup from there??
    Practise what you preach.

Turned out to be hardware going bad. I had to swap out the CD drive and ditch a bad memory stick, and then everything finally installed smoothly.