very loud hdd/jet engine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: very loud hdd/jet engine

very loud hdd/jet engine

I have a very noisey hdd its a 40gb and this started hapening prob about a month ago. It started makeing this loud grinding noice perhaps. Or maybe a jet engine, heh. Not realy sure how to discribe it but some days its louder then others, but its always continuis, never stops except for the odd day. Thye hdd is not realy hot at all, its slightly warm but temperature seems ok, yet ive only had it on for 2 hours. The HDD indicator LED is always flasheing, never stops. Though is a short flash every second, not like it is doing some heavy thinking or anything.

The drive works fine other then the noice, it has XP , NTFS file system, and does not seem to have any troubles reading, writeing or deleteing files. But the noice is enough to drive anyone wacky. The only change I can remember doing other then inmstalling/uninstalling dozens of software packages each day, is when I changed the case. I saw a sexy case and gave my system a new home.

Has anyone experinced this?

Ive atached a zip archive with a wav file i recorded with my mic
    \"I think Adid just had a heart attack, I tryed to revive him but it was too late!\" - Delta Force Black Hawk Down

I don't think I've ever had one that got noticeably loud, but I'd sure be
    shopping for a replacement. You could experiment (by doing nothing)
    and see how long it goes before dying. Who knows? Back up your data
    now.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

It could be resonance?...............make sure that the motherboard is firmly attached to the case and the HDD in its bay. Then try pressing on the case panels when you get the noise.

Sounds like vibrations.

Normally when a hard drive is going bad, you'll hear clicks and pings. Not a loud screeching noise.

Make sure that the screws are in there tight. My case has rubber spacers between the hard drives and bays. They are silent... the metal never touches and vibrations are eaten up.

Are you sure it is the hard drive? Could be a dying fan? The berrings in there go bad and fans sometimes have to be replaced...

Could it be the fan on the heatsink? I've had more of these die than case fans...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I never thought of resonaunce but sounds very logical. The screws are tight as far as I can tell and I just switched hard drives, took the drive from my server, into this one and the noicey drive in question to the server. Tada, the noice in this computer is gone, but as soon as I power up the server, now the computer with the bad drive, the noice is there. Seems that it is definately the drive and not anything else, since i can put my ear on the drive and can verify thats where it comes from.

I noticed right away, with the drive that I borowed from the server machine, that it also has the same nopice but at a very very faint volume, so that I must put my ear directly close to hear it, where as with the problem drive it is a very loud volume. In a little while from now when I cool down in front of our new air conditioner ill try removeing the drive from the bay and hold it while i power it up. That should rule out any loose screws or case vibrations correct?

Will let you know what hapens, for now I just installed everything onto the second and much quieter drive, and oh the peace and quiet is wounderfull, if only i can get winter back, things will be good again.
    \"I think Adid just had a heart attack, I tryed to revive him but it was too late!\" - Delta Force Black Hawk Down

The update is, it seems that perhaps the drive is always spinning, I held it in my hands while i powered up, and it felt like it was spinning inside. I even tryed moveing it in my hand difernt positions like on its side, upside down and right side up, and while doing that i felt vibrations and even felt like a centriphical force or something.

S.M.A.R.T

what errors is SMART reporting (if it isnt enabled in BIOS ..enable it.. and google for a Tool to read the SMART DATA)
    Normally when a hard drive is going bad, you'll hear clicks and pings. Not a loud screeching noise
    add to that "clang bang screeech clang.."

Are you sure it is the hard drive? Could be a dying fan? The berrings in there go bad and fans sometimes have to be replaced...

Could it be the fan on the heatsink? I've had more of these die than case fans...
    certainly a bloody good spot to start...
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

ROFLMAO
    The update is, it seems that perhaps the drive is always spinning, I held it in my hands while i powered up, and it felt like it was spinning inside. I even tryed moveing it in my hand difernt positions like on its side, upside down and right side up, and while doing that i felt vibrations and even felt like a centriphical force or something.
    Yes there is something in there spinning.. a set of disks.. spinning at between 5400 and 7200RPM..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I don't know if that really sounds like vibrations...

That is definitly a good place to check...

Seems that it is definately the drive and not anything else, since i can put my ear on the drive and can verify thats where it comes from.
    Then in that case I would definitly back up the data and get a new HDD ASAP!! If it's coming from the drive there's not much you can do to fix it anyway, it's not like you can open it up and and fool around with it... Just get a new HDD...

ROFLMAO
    quote:

Yes there is something in there spinning.. a set of disks.. spinning at between 5400 and 7200RPM..
    HAHAHAHAHA
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

What type of hdd is it??..The old conners use to have some noise but I still have an old 256mb one and still goes fine not that i use it often now but tested it on a old machine the other day..+-4 yrs old..I would definitely backup all the data just as a precausenary measure, one can live to regret if you do not so it is worth it..

Might check the screws for overtightening..might pull the disk twisted somewhat..also make sure that they are not to long..
    Practise what you preach.