They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar

Unhappy Home Studying [how to keep it going ?]

Situation :
    Doing home study courses on Comp TIA A+ [completed]
    Comp TIA N+ [final stages]
    AND CCNA .................

Question :
    How do YOU keep the momentum going ?
    Do you have any tips to help an old fart keep it up ?

I am trying to fit in at least an hour a night, sometimes more, sometimes a LOT more.
    But recently I feel that it's getting stale, just need some study tips to help it along.

TIA
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Perhaps you're suffering a bit of burnout. Sometimes taking a day off from studying and doing something not related to what you're studying is a good thing.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Sometimes taking a day off from studying
    I'm trying that
    got a Motorcycle rally booked for August 5th - 7th ................

I'm just hoping that I might get a few different ideas.
    Even off the wall thoughts .............. ones that WORKED anyway

I've paid a fair bit for the courses, as I'm aware that I would probably drop away from just doing it myself, from books that I'd bought.

But even the thought of the improved career prospects AND being able to sort my own system out is not sufficient at this moment.

could always have a drink ?

now THAT usually works.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Regal Making Handler
    Foxy,
    I'm doing two courses with the OU.

I know exactly where you are comeing from. My problem is, I'm not learning a whole lot at the moment, just the academic way of presenting my answers and its making it real hard to focus................................My solution so far has been to leave my asignments to the last moment. Then panic and spend 38 hours solid on my box doing the asignments, mostly half pissed.

But then I have gone from 100% down to 60%....So it is telling.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Hi foxyloxley,

Well...a well placed bomb under the chair on a timer usually provides ample incentive to get it done in time to disarm

aside from that...I find I can concentrate better at mundane tasks if I'm listening to music...not so loud that it'd give the woman who lives next door a heart attack...but loud enough that it distracts from the tedious.

Eg

Well, I take a lot of Vicodin, then I sit down and play some Final Doom, Doom, Doom 2, then when it has taken effect, I grab a **** load of my books (Learning PERL, SUSE books, The Complete Free BSD, Free BSD, Linux admin, Hacking exposed) and then read a lot because I can't do it any other way, my ADD is severe.

The Doom before research keeps me all ready to roll, and I don't stop for much, other than smoking every hour, getting coffee or MD.

Banned
    Human brain absorbs information better in the morning. Try to read on your way to work/school. (It is also better to exercise in the morning)

Also, study half-hungry. Don’t stuff yourself.

Think about the fact that you have to study all day. Prepare yourself mentally for it. That way you won’t just brush it off easily.

Most importantly… TAKE NAPS. Don’t fall asleep, but make yourself get up, eat fruit and study then.

gore ... you seem to be almost proud of all the **** you throw into your body... It’s not “COOL” I’ve experimented in my days but it’s nothing to brag about. I remember something about you having an accident or such, but pumping yourself up w/ painkillers solves nothing.

…why the **** would you take Vicodin for ADD. If you gonna go w/ opiates at least go for oxy.

Oxy is .... Well, it works, but Vicodin / Hydrocodone, does actually help with ADD and is helps with depression. It's closer to Morphine than Oxy is, which by the way helps too.

And for the record Opiates were a lot of things long before they were pain meds. The things I use them for were what they were used for long before they were something for pain. They don't distort your perception like LSD or beer would, they intensify it, thus making it easier for you to concentrate.

hey foxy, I'm in the same boat. Got my A+ and studying for network+, and trying to stay caught up in school (summer classes). I find that I do best after a little nap. Also, I don't watch TV for at least an hour before I study, I usually clean the house, or go jogging or something. If I am feelling extra out of it, I can't even get on the internet because I get too distracted. Caffiene does hell on me cause I alwasy feel like I have to get up and go do something instead of study. Besides that, the usual. Lots of water (not too much, don't want to get up every 20 minutes), good food, etc...
    ....Works for me anyways
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

Besides what was listed I do this too:

Drink Mountain Dew AMP, Full throttle, RedBull.... Heh.