Thread: IRC security

IRC security

because of horrible spam problems in one of the IRC channels i moderate i am forced to try and find a way to block all connections from users who do not use a valid hostmask (ie somebody@IP address instead of somebody@somewhere.someplace.com) is there any script for mIRC that can perform this function?

Banned
    Wouldn't this be a server issue and not a MIrc issue?

And second.... somebody@IP address is the same thing as someone@somedomain.com, the domain just had an nslookup done on it by the server. Right?

AO Senior Cow-beller
    We need LOTS more information to help you out. Because of the vast variation of IRC servers and services, we can't just make a snap recomendation to help you out.

What I can suggest is you look into some eggdrop type bot's and a good shell service (if you don't have a server to run it from.)
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Just Another Geek
    Please note that not all IRC networks allow bots..

You could also +v (voice) everyone you know and trust and make the channel +m (moderated). That way only you and your friends can 'talk' in channel.

A kick and ban does wonders too.. So does a +n (no external messages) on the channel.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

As Zencoder recommended using bots would be a great idea. I recommend looking at this website for information. The part I linked you too was a search for some of the antispam TCL's you can run on an eggdrop bot. These are configurable to whatever your needs may be and can get both onjoin spam and random spammers

Happy hunting
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    A kick and ban does wonders too..
    True, however, if they are slick(well, not really), they are going to go right to the nearest proxy and come right back to hound you. There are several ways to scan hosts attempting to access your IRC server for proxy use. Take a peek at bopm. This should help you out.

Also, SPAM bots will connect up and flood the piss out of you (along with skiz0rs). There are ways to club these idiots based on the amount of traffic they're sending to you. Again, the config for this varies so check out the docs to see how to throttle ban these irritants.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden