Reset Compaq Nx9110 Power on Password

Thread: Reset Compaq Nx9110 Power on Password

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar

Reset Compaq Nx9110 Power on Password

Hey gang,

hope all is well in AOland.

Client of mine has a prompt asking for a pwr-on password at boot. As far as i can tell he cant get into the bios via f10 (even thought it does ask before it asks for the password).

I need a way to reset this password either by clearing the jumper on the mobo or otherwise...

The strange thing is that i was working on the laptop only the night before, and it didnt have a password on it. The client says he hasnt done anything to it.

Any clues anyone??
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Banned
    You might try searching for one of the hard wired passwords that some BIOS' have.

Otherwise, flash that BIOS... check the manufacture's site for the technical documentation, that may provide you a clean way to do it.

I am with Compaq online support now, they arent being helpful..

Sorry i shouldnt have been sop breif before... I can and do understand flashing the bios, what i need to know is where the jumper/whatever is so i can reset the bios....

does anyone have any ideas?? the tech support arent that knowledgeable..

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Thanks,

Ive read through all of these and spoken with HP (who are useless)... i need to know where the cmos battery is found....

I dont want to fully disassemble the laptop, so does anyone know where the battery is located?!

let me know, cheers guys thanks in advance...

Cheers d0pp, thanks for the help

CTO
    - Albert Einstein

Im pretty sure it was compaq laptops at least older ones, you take out the battery and unplug it. Wait 10sec and hold down the power button while u turn on the computer and keep holding it for another 5 sec and it resets the bios. Im not sure if it will reset the passwords too but, id say its worth a shot. Some laptops actaully do have jumpers and it could be as easy as finding the cmos battery. Check under the keyboard, in the area where the memory goes and underneath the battery I have found them in all of those places, good luck!