Thread: telnet 2 gmail

telnet 2 gmail

when ever i try 2 telnet 2 smtp.gmail.com it says "click any key to continue". so i press enter and it says i lost the connection to th host.

Banned
    Why would you need to telnet to gmail's smtp server?

no kidding... they don't even support text based browsers... let alone telnet... lol
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

possibly it is some kind of security against port scans. Some servers reply with SYN/ACK packets if a SYN is received destined to a closed port. This screws up some port scans, but makes the connection appear valid.

Luckily for you, there is an easy way around this. Stop telnetting to gmail's smtp server.
    An ancient chinese man once told me: \"The hotter the tea, the bigger the wang.\"

My tea is extra hot.

Hi

Gmail does accept telnet connections to port 25. One simply has
    to know, which servers are the correct ones. Or did I misunderstand
    and, sixers826, you wanted to telnet to port 23?

smtp.gmail.com is a server configured to support Secure SMTP
    over TLS[1], and hence, should be treated as such .

Cheers.

[1] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2487.html
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

I could be wrong but I think you misunderstood, sec_ware. I think he either tried to Telnet to the wrong port and/or he simply is trying their server. Regardless, they don't even support text based browsers like phishphreek said (last I checked atleast).
    Space For Rent.. =]