ZC, I agree with you on learning to do coding from practice, but a lot of things that you learn in coding you won't find out without reading a book, or documentation. You have to know how your compiler works on different things, and how to change settings on it, all of which you have to get from documentation or from a book. I am actually one more partial to messing up a lot and then going to look for the answer in a book or else where. But, sometimes just reading a book for the info in it will teach you sooo much.

Oh and Skiddie as for the book "Learning Perl" I think it is only 200 pages at the most. It is a really small book but covers everything that learning perl requires.

Perl is a very cool and fun language. I love the language, I wish I had more time to play with it. It is to me the fun language. I can do all kinds of things a lot simplier in it. I can also make my code so unimaginably un-readable in it, with such ease. I love the language. I could go on for hours about why I like it, but point being I wouldn't of learned most of the things I know about it without reading a little.

ZC, I am with you though, I have a lot of books that I am suppose to read, but never get around to because of laziness, or something else. Usually laziness though.