WinXP tweaks

Thread: WinXP tweaks

WinXP tweaks

What do you generally think for tweaks in the registry? I think that this is the most f****g thing you can do.
    I was wondering: if it so easy to make your system run faster by writing something in the registry why does microsoft not make it? It is not so difficult - they can release a patch(hope that is the right word) to write all the things in the registry and you PC will start and beheave with the speed of light!
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

Microsoft are not the only ppl in this business who wants to make a buck you know!!I think they get more than enough as it is..
    Practise what you preach.

Please take a look here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mrx9000/

In particular look at his tutorial.

I personally don't think that these tweaks do much these days with modern hardware.

In the past, with low powered equipment and some settings that were not optimal, I think that you could do more.

most "tweaks" people implement force equipment to work out of approved manufaturer specs. and with that alot of the time you lose the stability of the hardware/software. In theory specs are set to match power with stability, becasue it really would be pointless to have an uber fast computer that crashed every 45 seconds.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Originally posted here by XTC46
    most "tweaks" people implement force equipment to work out of approved manufaturer specs. and with that alot of the time you lose the stability of the hardware/software. In theory specs are set to match power with stability, becasue it really would be pointless to have an uber fast computer that crashed every 45 seconds.
    That is exactly what I mean! I did some of this **** once and really I can say that my PC was a little bit faster(3%) but It was crashing every 10 minutes. If it si so I don't understand why the people have to do this things.
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

Please don't forget that you are just as likely to produce software instability by messing with things

I think that the whole issue is very similar to overclocking............people like to think that they are "getting something for nothing"?

As I recall, the classic "tweaks" were:

1. Change the internet packet size (Windows had the built in assumption that you were on a LAN rather than a 28.8 dial-up)
    2. Set the "typical usage" to "server" if you had a 2Gb HDD or bigger
    3. Create a RAMDRIVE if you had a lot of memory.
    4. Manually increase the size of the page/swap file if you had very little memory.

As I said, there does not seem to be much need for it with modern systems.........I guess people just like fiddling with things?