The FTC is holding you responsible...

Thread: The FTC is holding you responsible...

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

The FTC is holding you responsible...

for proper data destruction. I want everyone to see this because if you happen to have a nanny and you do a background check on her, you are responsible/liable for that information. Times have changed folks. Everyone has to become security conscience or face the man.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...sposalalrt.htm
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

BS, EnCE, ACE, Cellebrite 11001001's Avatar
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Excellent link!

This is very important to be aware of if you own or run a business that as a practice runs CORI and/or credit checks on potential employees, and it's information that a lot of people who probably don't know, should know.
    That's Officer 11001001 to you...
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

destroy or erase electronic files or media containing consumer report information so that the
    information cannot be read or reconstructed
    By what standards? Many people think that the delete key will erase the data.
    More people think that after a drive has been formatted... the data can't be recovered...

They don't say how it should be erased and using which tools, etc.

Many people that this applies to will know nothing about data destruction.
    Attorneys or private investigators
    They will likely have computers... but no IT staff. I've done side work for several small attorney offices. Not a single one of then knew much about computers. In fact... some of them gave me their old computers with all their client's data on them!

So, would I be responsible for destruction of their data?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    As 11001001 points out, SOHOs are also in the line of fire. The law covers *everyone*. There is no escape from liability anymore.

Phissshy, if you are representing them as their IT person, then you represent the company, and the company will be liable (not you personally per se).
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Interesting read. We already have laws the govern privacy like the Bank Secrecy Act the Privacy Act of 1978, GLBA, HIPPA etc. They even go into disposal. This is good guidance on what to look for and manage and the FTC has some tiny teeth to enforce gross negligence at a federal level to non government regulated agencies such as Bob's Pizza.

//EDIT It looks like this only covers data from consumer reports, meaning credit reports. Background checks that do not contain info from the major bureaus do not apply?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Interesting article thehorse.. Let me go over somethings:

Times have changed folks. Everyone has to become security conscience or face the man.
    This is 100% true IMHO. Without that specific conscience and thought of security, you will pretty much go down. Not only that, but as times change so does the need to realize what liabilities people have to their own. As freedoms change and laws tighten, a persons liability fluxuates aswell.

My theory: You are hired by a company to be their IT tech. You are now A PART of their company and anything associated thereof. Being hired is the same as being recruited to join a gang per se. You are now apart of them and their actions (or inactions for that matter) CAN and possibly WILL bite you in the ass.

Just my opinion, I can further reiterate if needed my opinions/thoughts.
    Space For Rent.. =]