Forum Request - Regulatory Compliance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum Request - Regulatory Compliance

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Forum Request - Regulatory Compliance

Let's face it folks, there are tons of new laws we have to deal with as security professionals. HIPAA, SOX, the new FTC data destruction law, etc., etc..

I think it's about time that AO has a forum specifically for regulatory compliance questions, answers and announcements. Seeing that jail time is associated with some of these laws, I'm sure people will want to know as much about them as possible.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

BS, EnCE, ACE, Cellebrite 11001001's Avatar
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    That's Officer 11001001 to you...
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Banned
    I'm taking some security courses dealing with risk management, federal computer legislation, AUPs... so I would definitely welcome a forum like that.
    I'm not sure if it would attract enough attention though - not to mention that wrong advice in cases dealing with the law might be worse than no advice at all. I can already see threads going like this: "this is my advice, but I'm not totally sure... you might want to consult a lawyer".

BTW: I think it's time to do a general review of all forums...

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I STILL agree.....
    Ooops. When I searched for a post like this I didn't key on the words you used.

Anyway, it seems like AO should do this and several others already agree.

I can already see threads going like this: "this is my advice, but I'm not totally sure... you might want to consult a lawyer".
    True, but that can be said about any forum here. Replace lawyer with RTFM.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AO Senior Cow-beller
    I still agree too. Lemme throw a few things out:

SarBox (or SOx)
    GLB
    HIPAA
    FIPS 140-2, 4.7.3
    FIPS 201
    DoD 8100.2 Section 4.5
    NIST SP800-56

Know what those are? Do you work in the federal government IT, or support federal government it, or private sector it? Then you should know some of them.

This forum is the next step in the sites natural evolution, in my opinion. And as always, I'd be happy to moderate (since my company does this stuff for a living.)
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Make it so....

JupM: You want "professionals" here.... This, of all the forums, would attract professional interest. We do have several people here already that have to conform to the different regulations so there is a basis of experience so it's not a "start from scratch" undertaking. Oh, and it cost's you nothing really does it?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    It's being discussed, just so you know (and no, not because Tiger said so - and yes, there are legal considerations that need to be worked out).
    While we're at it, are there any other suggestions for new forums? Or forums to get rid off (no, not Cosmos), forums to be merged?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    How about a restricted access Skiddie forum ?

let them 'find' their way in, lock the 'doors' so the threads never commit suicide, then let us have a virtual paint ball game .................. mainly RED paint natch
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Make it so....

JupM: You want "professionals" here.... This, of all the forums, would attract professional interest. We do have several people here already that have to conform to the different regulations so there is a basis of experience so it's not a "start from scratch" undertaking. Oh, and it cost's you nothing really does it?
    You sound like that old guy on his porch talking about "The war" you were never in lol. I agree though this could be a good thing, as I had to memorize parts of HIPAA or whatever for my Security + class.

Neggy, I just got back from shopping I found my cologne on sale, I got a 1.7 OZ bottle for $40.00.

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Well...you could merge General Computer Discussions with the Newbie ... and have " New and General Computer Discussions " and combine Cosmos with Chit-Chat ...and have " General Chit-Chat and Cosmos "...
    this would open up two spaces for more Technical forums without enlarging the forums.

Eg