Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: l337 Intern found on network

l337 Intern found on network

Ok. I'm putting this here because of ethnic and morality implications.

The other day, my boss stops me in the hall and asks me what I know about hyper threading technology? Now I have to ask where he read about hyper threading and he informed me that a user asked if it was ok to turn on hyper threading on his workstation. Boss, not coming from a technical background, says no. Don't mess with the hardware, contact the Help Desk with any requests. I've trained him well and am proud.

I explain how hyper threading works and send him off to Intel's site so he can read many white papers and leave me alone. I then visit said user and inform him that it's against company policy to muck about with hardware and software.

So - today said user calls Help Desk requesting that someone please install the really cool wireless mouse he purchased last night. I do a quick hardware / registry scan and find that user has been naughty. USB devices have been plugged into the box, multiple attempts to download and install software, install hardware...

Now user did boot into bios and enable hyper threading. I know this because it's disabled by default on Dell boxes and there is no reason to enable hyper threading for two reasons. We don't run any software that could benefit from hyper threading and the processor in that box is only 1.2 GHz

Here's my dilemma. The user is an engineering intern and has taken a few computer 101 classes in college. He wants to learn more about computer networks and the like. He's not trying to do anything destructive or malicious. He's just trying to play with things to learn how they work. I can do one of three things:

1. Report his AUP violation, that would end his employment - Though I aspire to be a BSOFH, this option doesn't sit right with me.

2. Lock his registry to the point that he can only launch approved programs and can't even change desk top settings. i.e., taking the toys away from the child.

3. Take the kid under my wing. Give him power user rights on the box and instruct him on the do's and don'ts with hardware and software in a network environment.

What would you do. Especially you Gore, in case I choose option 1.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Technically, you should do 1. It's not your place to play the role of educator and it's a violation of the AUP (assuming he signed it and all that). He may not be fired but rather reprimanded as a first offense.

As for the user, suggest to him to get some cheap boxes and play at home. The company's network is not his playground; it's COMPANY RESOURCES.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

********** |ceWriterguy
    word of advice from experience: Ditch him. He won't stop. Taking him under wing will only encourage more policy violations and get you both in trouble.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Where I work AUP violation are taken seriously. Since this user is an intern he will certainly be fired. Maybe I'm just too kind hearted. The intern gets school credit, if he is fired - he fails.

I've been lucky in that I have only had to report one individual - he was fired and was brought up on charges by the state. That guy was a real looser.

But you are correct MSM - It's not my place to teach.

BlackIce: I know you're right. locking down his PC will only make the intern work harder at getting resources and he won't stop.

I have a eye on this guy, I think I'm going to wait until Monday to report my findings. I just hate this part of the job.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    He HAS to go, you would end up wasting resources on watching him, as you could never trust him.

Add the proviso from MsM :
    suggest to him to get some cheap boxes and play at home. The company's network is not his playground; it's COMPANY RESOURCES.
    remember : it's not personal, it just FEELS that way ..........

Luck to you.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    I have always been of the firm belief that policy exists for a reason.
    I think it's your responsibility to report the AUP violation.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Depends on if I like him or not. If he's cool and can teach me something I might let him insall some engineering software. Not enough info. Does he work at night, alot of downtime wating for say backup tapes to finish etc.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

RC:

I don't know the guy that well. His co workers like him and have only good things to say. Mostly Bright, polite and hard working. Under the program he is in, he can only work 20 hours a week. He gets his work done and adds value to the company. Logs show everything he attempts is between 12 and 1 (Lunch hour). Other than that there is no internet activity, only requests for ProE data and email. I checked his email history and the only email he sends outside the company is to three addresses at his school. Since Websense blocks web based email, he's not using web mail and POP3 (outlook express) gets dropped at the gateway unless it originates from the exchange server.

All in all, this is one cool cookie.

11001001:

I agree, especially since I wrote the thing and had to fight tooth and nail to get the thing implemented.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    in light of your last reply :
    You have to bounce it upwards .............

Give him some positive spin [your post was a good reference]
    But let others decide the how why when and where's ......................

that way, you will have done your bit to defend him, but the company will decide whether or not to terminate .............

Why not show him this thread [abridged] give him a [last] chance ?
    his behaviour HAS been good so far, it's just his curiosity ......... and we all know what THAT does [ his name's not Tabby ? ]
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

********** |ceWriterguy
    There's a possibility here - bring him in, show him where you caught him mucking about and that he violated policy. Let him know you log everything and that you have the evidence that would most certainly get him fired - and that if he does it again, this evidence along with the logs of his next attempt will go to the boss, and that you'll take great pleasure in disemboweling him for ruining the 2nd and LAST chance you're giving him as well. You might also explain that had this been done under any other admin type, he'd have gotten the axe right off, and that the real world only gives you ONE chance.

The downside to this solution is that your butt might be placed on the line as well - I can picture your boss asking "Why didn't you tell me about this the first time it happened?" when he really screws something up. It's ultimately your call, and it's one hell of a tough one to make. You have my sympathies.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!