Apple to go Intel

Thread: Apple to go Intel

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄

Apple to go Intel

Released two hours ago...

"Apple won't stand in the way of people who want to run Windows on its forthcoming Intel-processor Macs. But whether or not users will be able to run Windows directly on the machines is still a mystery," John G. Spooner writes for eWeek. "Apple Computer Inc. last week announced plans to begin selling computers based on Intel Corp. processors by June 2006."

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/6065/
    MacDailyNews - Apple and Mac News - Welcome Home

Super Moderator
    Know-it-All Master Beaver

Hey Hey,

Always nice to see the new news, but you're a little outdated. The announcement was made 10 days ago.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/06/...el.transition/

You can view the official Press Release @ http://www.macintouch.com/macintel.html#applepr

It's an interesting bit of information to follow... I've seen the way that Macs handle things like Adobe and video editing... It really seems like they're cutting themselves off at the knees... \

I guess we'll have to wait and see though... It's going to be interesting.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Hi HT,

Geeeeez...you'd think MacDaily News would get this first...
    Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 05:52 PM EST
    Well...it did say it was announced last week...but I assumed this was the official release.

Eg

Dell said that they'd sell/ship it if apple was willing...
    http://www.fortune.com/fortune/fastf...072719,00.html

Why wouldn't they?! Thats what exactly what manufacturers need... another OS to rival m$.
    By bringing it to intel, that should bring down the prices... especially if Dell starts shipping Mac OS XYZ.

Until now... m$ had no reason to be intimidated by mac. Your Joe User is going to look at the prices and say... Hmm... I get get 4 Dell PCs running XP or I can get 1 Mac.

Mac has always targeted video/audio/publishing producers/editers. Not Joe User.

Throw linux in the mix... before long we'll all be tri booting Linux, Mac and Windows.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Remember when apple almost died and MS invested in them. 1997?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Why wouldn't they?! Thats what exactly what manufacturers need... another OS to rival m$.
    I think we will get more likely a BS like X86 Sun Solaris.. what a crap.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    Hmmmm,

Somewhere in the loft I have an old Apple..............it has a 75Mhz Pentium I processor and some sort of RISC processor. It dual boots MAC OS and Windows 95.

They never "caught on" so I was able to pick it up pretty cheap.

I guess the real question is what Cacosapo was saying, will the OS run on intel architecture, or will it be like running Solaris on an x86? As I have just mentioned the last time Apple tried this they used separate processors for the two OSes

If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?

Super Moderator
    Know-it-All Master Beaver

Hey Hey,

I know that everyone keeps saying they are doing this because of pricing... but I don't think that's the case at all.... Apple prices are very competetive lately..

The Mac Mini is quite cheap and out performs any similarly priced PC that you might by at Futureshop, BestBuy or where ever else.

The iMacs are great and ridiculously cheap in my opinion. 2199 Canadian (1780 USD) for a 20" G5 2.0Ghz.... Tell me wher you can go and buy a similarly priced PC that will match it in price and specs...

For this little demo, I selected the Intel P4 630 3.2Ghz Processor as the competitor... I don't know if I'd call this equal as I think the Mac would blow it out of the water, but I'm guessing I'll get some arguments if I go with the Dual Core.... However I remember a prof telling me that a RISC processor will benchmark to about 5x as fast as a CISC processor (although I've also heard that the P4 is actually a RISC processor that decodes the CISC instruction set... ) but what do I know... I'm not a hardware guy... I just know that a 1.5Ghz MAC laptop will outperform our 2.4 Ghz PC laptops with similar applications. So on with the demo..

20" G5 iMac
    2.0Ghz Processor
    250GB SATA
    8X Double Layer Super Drive
    Radeon 9600 128MB
    20" LCD (Incorporated)
    Mac OSX 10.3

Dell Dimension 9100
    3.2Ghz P4 630
    250GB SATA
    16X DVD-RW Dual Layer
    Radeon X300 SE 128MB
    20" LCD (Seperate from PC)
    Windows XP Pro
    As you may have noticed, I left RAM out of this.. I've priced out two different versions... Both these systems with 512MB (the system standard for both) and both these systems with 2GB of RAM (might as well go for the gold right?)

The 512MB version is $2199CDN (Mac) and $2739CDN (PC).
    The 2GB version is $2598CDN (MAC) and $3639 (PC)

I can buy the above Mac system with 2GB for cheaper than the PC System with 512MB of RAM...

I'm not sure, but I think right now Apple is beating PCs in pricing.... so it really doesn't explain the switch.

Anyways.. that's my 2 cents,

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".