Thread: Problem with SCSI Hard drive

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Problem with SCSI Hard drive

Good day!!!!!!

I have been out from quite a long time, having urgent problem at the moment and need an urgent reply..
    I have an SCSI hard drive and some how one of my partition is lost i mean WIN2000 showing it as unformatted partition. It contain vey important data of my company. Is there any free tool available to recover the data from the partition.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Hello there!

Just to clarify:

1. You can see the partition, but it appears to be unformatted?
    2. You mention Windows 2000, so it is an NTFS partition?

It contain vey important data of my company. Is there any free tool available to recover the data from the partition.
    Are you sure that is wise?...................I would look for something that the company paid for, just to cover my tail-end

It appears that the partition you rae losing is a logical partition. All logical partitions suffer with the problem of data loss. One good idea is to copy the contents of the partition, if available to another media and delete the partition and make it a Primary Partition.
    Either you know the soln, or u don\'t

What was the last thing you did before the problem happened?
    The first thing I would suspect is the partition boot sector.
    If it becomes corrupted, the partition will appear unformatted
    although all the data may still be there

To replace the boot sector, at the Recovery Console command prompt, type:

fixboot [drive:]

Read the whole article, see if it applies to you.
    microsoft.com
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Nihil:

Well yes its NTFS partition, you are absolutly right..... But we have managed to recover the data.... it cost us a lot even we could get a new Server machine in it...... But as i said it was company data and we had to recover it at any cost.

The consultant recovered it for us.... something he says recovering data through MEDIA..... i want to know is there something data receovery through MEDIA..... he says we used to open the harddisk put it on some sort of machine blap blap.....

Second thing i want to know is that now i am looking for a permenant backup solution. Can you help me in this..... People suggested me that i should create a backup routine on individual systems and put in task scheduler so that it will invoke automatically. And later than take the complete data from the server manually....

One thing the data is xls files, foxpro files and some other files...... its around 5 GB.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Hi FanacooL

Yes, I understand.............consultants are expensive, aren't we

OK I will have to give this a bit of thought, as you basically have a business continuity issue here?

1. How have you set up and are running your server? You see I would personally only build RAID1 for myself or small traders but RAID5 may well be a better solution for you?.........we will discuss this.

2. How do I make my back ups..............
    (i) To a dedicated server?
    (ii) To MEDIA (this would be CD/DVD/Tapestreamer) Magnetic/floptical media in other words

You need to think about physical security here...........your data must be private and safe, but if the office/factory were to burn down?

(iii) To a server at a remote location?

3. What back up procedures do I need..........once per day, twice?..........."trickle feed"?

Disaster recovery and business continuity issues are quite complicated but they are very interesting. I am sure that you will enjoy the exercise, and it is paramount to your business.

I hope that I shall be able to help you, as I have built quite a lot of this into my projects...........and, as it says in "The Way Of The Sufi"

"A beetle, in his own hole, is a sultan"?

Hey, I can only advise from a distance, you are going to have to do the local management presentations and pricing!

HI Nihil

Nice to hear from you..... Its really helpful but first let me briefly tell you about my Netowrk...

First thing i have not designed it rather i am trying to make it stable......

There are 2 servers one is database serve and other one is PDC. On my PDC proxy server is there and as well as mail client MDaemon.

On databse server our ERP is running and very strangly AD is also running on it.

There are 50 clients, all are win98 except few which have 95 on them :-(

As you mention in your reply about RAID5 can you explain a little about it..... or links to study a bit about them.....

As for backup, well at the moment we take it on a hard drive. As far as security is concerned well no such threat here.

Well we need to take the backup daily and at the end of office time.

What i have been looking for is Management of this network in a meaningful manner. Right now there are lots of voices shouting hey my node is down and blap blap ..... So what i want is eleminating these problems or atleast decrease them.