Thread: Keyboard not responding? Virus?

Keyboard not responding? Virus?

Hi there,

I have a problem with my Keyboard, sometimes is just stops working, usually when I go on the net, then it won't work for ages. I don't think it is the keyboard though, as sometimes the mouse stops as well making rebooting a tiresome thing.

Has anyone heard of a virus that attacks keyboard and mouse drivers and disables them. I found a bunch of stuff scanning with ewidow, but only in safe mode.

Any thoughts, do I just have a duff keyboard?

Frantic jonolonny
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Hmmmm,

What sort of connections are they USB, PS2?

It could be that your machine is just freezing............what browser are you using?

You might have a look at your logs in event viewer?

1. Check out your Java............is it up to date?
    2. Check out what is set to autoupdate...............that can cause these symptoms.
    3. Turn off power saving and screensaver.

Is it wireless or wired?

it happened to me once too... apparently there was a conflict between some apps... i have a hp laptop and apparently quick buttons (or something like that) was the problem... updated it and it is fixed

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    apparently there was a conflict between some apps... i have a hp laptop and apparently quick buttons (or something like that) was the problem... updated it and it is fixed
    Most notebooks comes with a 'Fn' (function) key. Also, theres a usually a service that enables the function keys, hot keys, quick keys etc... If the service is disabled the function, hotkeys will not work. Start, run, services.msc for future reference. Also, you can try uninstall and reinstall the drivers for the keyboard as well as system restore.

So it seems to happen on a fairly random basis? Nothing actualy able to be pinpointed as a trigger?

I would try a new keyboard and mouse before getting the worries about driver virii.

Some varieties of keyboards I have encountered run addition software when windows boots, and often have pretty nasty sounding names, and you wouldnt be the first to have disabled or deleted these.

Hmmm,

I would try a new keyboard and mouse before getting the worries about driver virii.
    I do not think that will do any good, as it does not sound like hardware to me. I agree that a malware attack is most unlikely. Malware doesn't do that sort of thing these days, and attempts to remain hidden. Locking a system and forcing a reboot is not what the author is trying to achieve?

So it seems to happen on a fairly random basis? Nothing actualy able to be pinpointed as a trigger?
    Jonny did mention that it seems to happen when he connected to the internet, and that "it won't work for ages" which is what suggests a software conflict to me. If it were a hardware failure it would stay failed

Network connections frequently stimulate other software to load such as auto updates, security proxies and so on.

My first approach would be to check what loads on startup and what is set to autoupdate or run in the background. An AV scan would be a good suspect.

Nokia's question about wireless is another possibility, as it could be some sort of interference, perhaps.

I would suggest running task manager just before you connect to the internet. If your keyboard freezzes check to see in the bottom of the screen if you have a high cpu charge. I have had problems like this because of the service msmsg. It sends the cpu to 100 % and blockes the keyboard and mouse.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

It's a gas!
    Longshot - Have a look for a running service Ati Hotkey Poller, if present stop this and set the startup type to manual, reboot and see if it helps...

Hello People,

As you might have guessed, could not get on line.So unable to respond. I have solved the problem to a lesser degree, by getting a USB keyboard. Though not ideal, untill another (free) PS2 keyboard comes my way, I will make do.

Obviously, a USB keyboard can't get me into safe mode, or the BIOS, but I can live with that at the moment.

I am however suspecting a hardware failure, though whether it is the keyboard itself or a bad port, I am unable to tell. Though as Nihil conjectured, I think the malware thing is out.

I have ruled out a conflict also, as my keyboard eventually stopped me getting into the BIOS, this is why I suspect a hardware failure.

Thanks for all your input.

Front bottom Jonny
    Sarcasm is a way of life