Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Someone hacked my yahoo account and has my password now??

Juridan is right. machines like these would make excellebt zombies in a ddos or similar distributed attacks, so being a little paranoid is ok. Maybe my response was a bit harsh. But in reality, the chances this was a legit attack are very low. Sure it could be a warning sign that his computer has been compromised and someone took the saved password from his machine and is logging on his in in an elaborate attempt to do some social engineering with the name and it would not trace back to the thief. Or they could just be doing it to mess with him and show they got his info.

so if you are worried take the appropriate steps mentioned above. Scan your computer for viruses/other malware THEN change your password for every single program/website/computer you access. then go ahead and get a new IP from your ISP even if it is DHCP they will usualy stay the same for some time. You may also want to go ahead and check all your banking statements and alert you bank to be on the look out for possible identity theft. Also inform your employer of possible data leaks if you have done work from home. Oh and let any friends that have used your computer to log into their eails to have their info changed as well. this should give you the reassurance that everything will be ok.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

And not everyone who goes after nobodies is an idiot...the nobodies have poor security on their boxes for the most part and make good sacrificial goats for doing recon on others or to do actual attacks via proxy
    That is very true...............there are usually two reasons for this sort of thing (assuming that it really is an attack, of course):

1. Wind the person up ( I am not sure, but I think that the US equivalent of that phrase is "pull your chain"?)

2. Practise

Obviously, I have discounted criminal intent, you must decide on that

The advice to consult the mail provider is good, I am sure that they will try to help.

One other thing that came to mind was if you had a keylogger on your system, you would have no defence worth talking about.

Is your PC physically secure or do others share it, have access to it?

Congratulation XTC46, you just exposed yourself as a huge jackass. Which part of:
    "and no I never signed in from another computer...only from my pc", didn't you understand.
    LET ME SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU...I never chat anywhere else other than at home, so this pretty much excludes your guess that I probably just forgot to sign out from another computer.

Secondly, I find it quite ironic how you accuse me of making "ridicilous" assumptions about being hacked, yet you're the one who moronically jumps on conclusions without knowing anything about me.
    How do you know that I'm not using a firewall, anti-spy/malware tools and an antvirus program?
    Currently, I'm using Zonealarm Pro (albeit it can be argued about how effective a sowftware based firewall really is), ad-aware, several other anti-spy/malware "clients" and a decent antivir program.
    My browsers of choice are Opera and Mozilla, besides I'm very cautious with what I download from the internet. To be honest, I rarely download stuff but if I do, I make sure that it's from an official site.
    When using the Yahoo Messenger, I never click on any links within the client, never share files with someone I don't know. Most of the time I just talk to the people who are on my buddy list.

Also, which basket case would give his password away - even if it's your friends?...yeah right, good one buddy.
    "Shoulder surfing", huh? May I ask, how old are you?

The first thing I did, after this problem occured was to change my password - thanks for nothing.

So there you go, you just made a fool out of yourself but please go ahead and type more ignorant babble bullshit and let me publicly bust your ass again or just stay the **** out of my thread and let people post some constructive info here.

To everone else, thanks for the input. I am not giving details here but I've very good reasons for thinking that someone indeed tried to get into my account and read my mails.

So, what I'm asking here is, are there any known bugs/"Yahoo glitches" that occured lately within the yahoo servers, does anybody else ever had this problem before, or is it most likely that I've been hacked?

P.S.: I already scaned my system and nothing seems wrong (I'm the only one who uses my computer).
    It's supposed to be very easy to hack an email account, if you know how to do it...

Errrr,

Pootie, could you go into your site preferences on the main page and activate your AO PM (personal messaging) system..... that way we can have discussions "not in front of the kids"

It's supposed to be very easy to hack an email account, if you know how to do it...
    That is total BS put out by skiddies who could not hack their way out of a paper bag. You are sure that only you "uses" the computer...............our question was "has access to" was it not.?

Have you changed the password remember prompt as suggested?

I am not disputing your assertion that you have been invaded, I am just trying to figure out how?

lol I exposed my self as a jackass long ago.

what does age have to do with shoulder surfing anyhow? its a very easy, very effective way of getting passwords done by many people both amature and pro. A LOT of people give passwords out.

as far as I know there have been no glitches with yahoo messenger that would give this error. There are numerous viruses out that use the messenger but they generally wont show you the message. I give the info that I did becasue like you said, I DONT KNOW YOU. you could be some dipshit 6 yearold on a computer in his school. If you changed your passwords and scanned your computer then good for you, you took the right first steps. if you are seriously concerned email yahoo and see if you can get the IP of the lat places it was signed in from (they probably wont giv this to you, but its worth a shot if you are seriously concerned)

breaking into yahoo/gmail/hotmail USED TO BE relativly easy, now it is much more complicated becasue they are far more aware of attempts and general security has gotten better (including time outs, failed attempt lockouts, etc. If someone is reading your email then they probably know you personnaly and have atleast some reason to want it. there is very little you can do at this point aside from playing defense and taking the steps you already have.

it sucks, but wait and see if it happens again. you said you changed your passwords, go and change the info like above (secret questions/alt email accounts) if you use standard passwords change them for everything that you used that password for.

edit**

after a bit of thought (no, really this time) it occurs to me that this type of error can occur if you get disconnected from the server (not signing off) and then trying to reconnect before the server times your account out and kicks it off. This can happen specificly in dial up situations becasue the IP address would have a high chance of being different so it would look like a new connection? but if it saying you logged in, it would a bit more difficult to pull this off. unless there was a server delay that held you as connect and then you reconnected it could show as a second connection, but that is sort of far reaching. just a thought though.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Hey Hey,

Apparently an extremely negative thread will go to positive when you accidently hit I Approve on the thread.

[rant]
    Anyways... I can't believe this thread has gone on this long... This is worse than the person asking for help with spyware or hardware or anything else like that... This is an idiot who has a) saved their password on another computer, b) made their password or password reminder question easy enough for someone to guess, or c) is an idiot (hrm.. I think this one can be assumed regardless) that let someone, as XTC46 pointed out, read over their shoulder.

I feel that I've been pretty good lately about complaining about posts and the quality and type of posts, but this is a new low.

I can understand nihil responding to this thread... he's got more patience than pretty much anyone else on this site and seems to have a way of handling the drivel that some of these people dish out.

This 'thread drought' that we're currently experiencing is a shame... I've seen more daily posts in the past than I've seen combined over the last couple of weeks. The addition of this thread just heightens the pain...

On top of that, I can't believe how rude and ignorant Pootie is being, and for the most part, he/she has been allowed to get away with it. I've seen others banned for less than his/her last post, yet this is being allowed to continue. Is this due to our discussions on APs lately in addicts? Where are the people that stand up and protect us from trolls. That's all that last post was... a troll's post and that's all this thread is to begin with.. It saddens me to see a 'newbie', and I'm just using site titles here, get away with being so out right rude to a 'senior' who has contributed many good items in the past.

[/rant]

Anyways there's my rant and my two cents.

Peace,
    HT

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    I can see why XTC46 jumped on Pootie. A lot of low knowledge users (who to be honest don't know any better) will scream "I've been hacked" whenever their computer does something odd.

Pop up window = hacker
    getting a virus (that shows up on Noton 2000 that hasn't been updated ever) = hacker
    Spam = hacker

They watch too much TV and seem to think that some super talented coder wants to personally invade their computer and look at their secret stash of pr0n and read their emails about last Sundays car boot sale or whatever.

When you've heard the same story 100's of times it gets hard to be polite and give the right advice especially when you know 9/10 times you'll be ignored and have them beating down your door in 6 weeks screaming "hacker" again and expecting it to get fixed for free.

Originally posted here by XTC46
    what does age have to do with shoulder surfing anyhow? its a very easy, very effective way of getting passwords done by many people both amature and pro. A LOT of people give passwords out.
    I thought that by the given information (now), you would have figured that I'm a very conscious user who wouldn't let something like that easily happen.

nihil, my PM is active.
    Nobody else besides me uses my computer, I'm trying to change the security question as suggested, even though I think that no one could have guessed the first promt (I'm 100% sure about that and I never gave any details about it away).

And not everyone who goes after nobodies is an idiot...the nobodies have poor security on their boxes for the most part and make good sacrificial goats for doing recon on others or to do actual attacks via proxy. Sounds like someone piddled in your cheerios xtc, attacks on people asking for help isn't needed.
    This is just as dumb as thinking that if I use a web-server as a place to centralize and command a botnet... I'll fill up an entire ****ing page filled with crap like /blah, *command, (ect). No no no... if im going to do something like that instead lets say a blue background on a web-page means SYN flood and a URL leads to the target.

"attacks via proxies", please... I've said it plenty of times in threads and it doesn't seem to stick with you guys.

Most people would automate everything. A computer looking for something to exploit, the odds of there actually being a human consciousness behind most internet attacks as it were are between slim and none. No real criminal has the patience or any time at all in between their lives otherwise. As if some ****ing nitwit is going sit around for hours to hit a big red "pwned j00" button sort of speak intil a freaking arm falls off.

And proxies are services... if you actually look how things are done in the real world you'll know that services are sold to people dumb enought to use them.

Atleast XTC46 for one can think in realistic terms.

Look, I don't think that an anonymous person got into my account.
    I said that there are good reasons to be sceptic and question if an acquaintance of mine got my password. I'm pretty sure that if someone really wants your password, there are ways to get a hold of it.

It's known that there are people who make a business out of hacking an yahoo/hotmail account on demand. Granted, some of it is just scam but some not.

You wanna how I know? A friend of mine once created a hotmail "dummy" account and sent a request to one of these "hackers", asking for a prove that they can really hack accounts, by sending him his own password. I want to point out that this was only for security purposes. Anyway, that person sent him indeed the correct password and my friend instantly cut off all communication with him.

I could post the email here but I probably won't since it's illegal.
    Besides, I wouldn't recommend getting in contact with these people because as I stated before it's illegal, immoral and they'll most likely try to blackmail you and press more money out of you.

So let me rephase that I just wanted to know if someone had similar problems with the yahoo messenger or heard of any Yahoo glitches lately, so that I can determine in a way whether I've been invated or not.