Multimedia Forensics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multimedia Forensics

Multimedia Forensics

You guys might dig this. :-)

Looks like fee music and moviez will be coming to an end one fine day.

Multimedia Forensics and Content Screening
    http://research.microsoft.com/users/...tent_Screening

404 page not found

Talking

Try this link:

http://research.microsoft.com/users/darkok/Research.htm

It is about 4th item from the top

Regards

D

Nothing will end music pirating. This will be about as effective as CSS is.

Regardless of your personal opinion on pirating or sharing music, the problem lies with the fact that distributors still to this day use a content distribution system which is no longer sustainable. This is no more effective than security policies without a written component. They are enforcing their content through the application of technology, instead of looking at the social and economic alternatives to their current system. I don't have a solution, but then again, I don't get paid to think of them. But it's pretty obvious that the current system just isn't working.

Bah, that's just my opinion on the matter in a nutshell. Digital fingerprinting will be no more effective than CSS because, like all anti-pirating technology, it ignores any reasons behind the need for its existence besides technological ones.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

I agree Striek. From what I saw this is just another system that companies will throw money at that will eventually be broken. These sort of tecnological approaches address the symptom, but not the root cause. They need to invest in a system that makes the current file sharing system not worth the effort.

My $0.02 at least

D

Originally posted here by TechGrunt
    I agree Striek. From what I saw this is just another system that companies will throw money at that will eventually be broken. These sort of tecnological approaches address the symptom, but not the root cause. They need to invest in a system that makes the current file sharing system not worth the effort.

My $0.02 at least

D
    I think the answer lies in some sort of hardware solution. I think when this starts to mature - you will see the end of piracy. They will have a way to track ownership and you won't be able to manipulate it.

https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/home

on the bright side - i also think that the costs of entertainment will go down.

as we have seen. price of music over here is canukland was in $20 range before filesharing. everyone complained about how expensive is was. the music biz kept saying "thats what it costs to make it, man! leave is alone."

now 5 more years on inflation - every other life cost has gone up but the "music biz" somehow magically managed to reduce their prices and are selling the same product for $10. yeah, right!

we should also see a similar trend in pc games and dvd movies. actually - i think we are already seeing that in DVD. they are cheaper and more feature full than they have ever been. i have no problem dishing out $20 for a double DVD with extras & packaging up the kazoo. seems fair to me. looking forward to when they are $10 - new hot off the shelf.

Originally posted here by rowdy_yates
    Once the various governing bodies of the recording and film industries change their business models I think this will occur. It is a bit of a fallacy the press they put out about costs associated with production and how piracy is driving prices up. In AUS last year the record industry association (ARIA) recorded their higher profit ever, in light of all the piracy.

Don't get me wrong, not condoning the practice here, all I am saying is that the industries profit margins are high and their business model wasn't equipped for the advent on online music. But there are definate signs they are changing their ways, which will ultimately put the file sharers offline - why risk downloading a rough version of the song you want (along with other viruses, trojans etc) when you can buy the professional version for only a few cents (in some cases).

D

I think the answer lies in some sort of hardware solution. I think when this starts to mature - you will see the end of piracy. They will have a way to track ownership and you won't be able to manipulate it.
    They already tried on dvd. And was the result? a smart guy broke the code. Thi is another security myth: if it is built in the hardware, you cant broke or bypass .
    And the problem is allways rely on: if they secure the format too much, adding a lot of crap to make a "digital signature", ppl will just launch another "free format" and just copy the "music part". Even they cant remove the signature, who will find the "original copy"? or for buy original music will be necessary to present an id card? Just for example, ive joined a hunt for a pirate copy of "documents to go". They (the pirates) had distributed the "key" and the registration identification of the original copy. and so what? it was registered to some "hi hyu ko" in China. Maybe the vendor is able to go there and arrest the buyer? I dont think so. Anyway, even we found the guy, the guy can just say "i dont know, ive bought a legal copy (and present it). Someone may had hacked me".

I really think that the prices are going down (not so fast as i would like) BECAUSE the piracy. If we stop the piracy, they wont need to low the prices down.
    Although i hunt pirates (one of my "clients") i allways say that the prices and the commercial approach are wrong. As Shriek said, they must rethink all.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Banned
    take music for example: at some point you would have to distill the signal into the music itself for it to be enjoyable. anyone can than take that signal, which is ment for your speakers and record it as plaing old music anyway...

you can retrace the steps w/ video as well. point is that MPAA/RIAA are pretty waayyyyy off in the left field w/ trying to solve this technologicaly. (they are trying to contain "SOUND" for Christ's sake)

... who really feels sorry for them anyway...

/unhappy goes back to dl'ing anime