Ok, weird thing going on this morning.

I come into the office to get hit with users panicking because they can't log into www.schwabinstitutional.com (being we're a financial planning company, this is a big problem). Turns out they can't log into FedEx.com either, or anywhere else for that matter. So I take a look and indeed, I can't log in anywhere that uses a HTTPS connection.

So I figured maybe it was Websense filtering a little too well. I just set up an evaluation version, so the timing would suggest that's the culprit, so I totally uninstalled it. Once uninstalled and the server's restarted, I give it a try...and sure enough, my machine will now log in. However, there's still won't.

So I check firewall logs, and see that at that time, TCP packets were dropped for HTTPS. Could it be a firewall setting? So I check out the firewall filters, and everything is still normal. It's configured to allow HTTPS. As an extra measure, I set up a rule stating www.schwabinstitutional.com as a trusted site.

Still nothing. Theirs won't connect, mine will. Restart a computer. Still won't work. Check IE security settings, set everything to either enable or prompt. Still nothing.

So I go back to my server, only to find that a number of Websense services are STILL running, even though Websense is totally removed. So I stop and disable all those services entirely. Still nothing.

Then, right before I posted this, my computer stopped connecting to HTTPS...and then resumed being able to connect a few minutes later. My machine for some reason is the anomolie; everyone else's will never connect to these sites.

So I removed Websense, and the firewall isn't set up to block any HTTPS connections. So what could be left that's causing this problem?