Thread: sbc yahoo dsl

sbc yahoo dsl

How secure is sbc yahoo dsl? With all those new options? how good is the firewall?

Probably as secure as any other dsl?

What "new" options?

What firewall?

You don't give much info... or any links to what you are talking about...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

DSL is only as secure as the coputer that is using it. other than that...

IIRC yahoo DSL is provided by AOL and they are just using the yahoo name. 'nough said.

on a side note, I wouldnt trust the software firewall that come with most dsl subscriptions, unless they are just sending you a copy of a known companies product becasue chances are is full of their biased crap, or not up to par becasue it is not their primary concern.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

The firewall software is usually Symantec's or some other big "security" companies firewall on the SBC yahoo DSL. I have a business account for my house (for the upload speed since its better on the business accounts) and it didnt come with all that "home" software, but I have setup several of those DSL accounts and they usually come with Symantec's software firewall or a McAfee setup.

I do see they are offering 3mb down so I might see if they can upgrade my account at home.

Also one note: I had not heard of AOL being any part of SBC Yahoo DSL. Maybe if you buy broadband through AOL, they use the SBC Yahoo DSL to run it, but I have never recieved for a personal or business DSL line any AOL software to install. Its not provided by AOL.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

sorry, its the other way. SBC does the lines for AOL.

http://telephonyonline.com/mag/telecom_sbc_brings_aol/

and just becasue yuou dont recieve the "AOL" software does not mean you arent using their service.

Timewarner runs AOL Time Warner runs RoadRunner. AOL offers cable solutions as well as DSL. Both cable providers use the same equipment to provide their service. Its called Licensing, sort of how huge fashion designers are paid to put their name on clothes made by little companies just so they can charge more. and then they also sell a nearly identical product with their name at normal price.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Originally posted here by XTC46
    sorry, its the other way. SBC does the lines for AOL.

http://telephonyonline.com/mag/telecom_sbc_brings_aol/

and just becasue yuou dont recieve the "AOL" software does not mean you arent using their service.

Timewarner runs AOL Time Warner runs RoadRunner. AOL offers cable solutions as well as DSL. Both cable providers use the same equipment to provide their service. Its called Licensing, sort of how huge fashion designers are paid to put their name on clothes made by little companies just so they can charge more. and then they also sell a nearly identical product with their name at normal price.
    True, (on the software thing) but I have looked into some of the paths that my communications make between servers. Most of that is on SBC's network, between SBC registered devices, not AOL's or Comcast. Some does go to UUnet, but the DNS servers and paths between them seem to be owned by SBC the company.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

they provide a free zonealarm firewall, but thats about it

Cox had all this stuff like parental controls, firewall, etc.