Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UBUNTU South Africa

I ordered 6 cd's from there site and i will check it out as soon as they arrive and by the why zencoder I love the jpg's as specially the ubuntu one.
    There are ten kinds of people:
    Those who understand binary and Those who don\'t

Ubuntu..it's ok I like it...what about CentOS? www.centos.org clone of red hat linux enterprise 3 and 4 server.
    I've been using centos 3.5 version for testing server, it's stabil too like ubuntu...I've tried to install Centos server for my old sister school and they love it..so far.
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Heh, funny you mention. I have CentOS 3.5 running in my lab. I'm still looking for time to upgrade to 4.1.

I'm happy with it thus far. I have quite a bit of tests to run though.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

*waits for cds to arrive*
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

How do you guys find configurability of this OS? Having installed it and played for a brief while it seems the configuration options are limited. Everything looks to be read only when your logged in as a user meaning even trying to change your X11 options is a pain. Plus the update service seems to have a number of broken files which lead to very little being installed overall?

Thoughts?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I'm still waiting for mine too

me LIKES freebies
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by aCk
    How do you guys find configurability of this OS? Having installed it and played for a brief while it seems the configuration options are limited. Everything looks to be read only when your logged in as a user meaning even trying to change your X11 options is a pain. Plus the update service seems to have a number of broken files which lead to very little being installed overall?

Thoughts?
    Well, to configure it extensively, you're going to need to be familiar with Debian, since that is the basis OS for Ubuntu.

It has a little bit more security than most Linux installs, at least in ideology. By default, it disables the root account (no password, it's given an illegal character in the /etc/shadow file, which disables the account from interactive login.) The first user you setup, during the install process, is automatically given SUDO access to all system resources. The Gnome configuration (not sure about KDE on Kubuntu) is aware of this and uses gnome-sudo for priviledged commands.

As for broken files, I have no idea what your talking about. It uses the very robust apt package management system, and configs a single repository of your installation media type when you start (i.e. install from CD-Rom, it defaults to CD-Rom for repository.) Do some reading and add a few repositories, and you'll see a world of difference. You do have to be a touch careful when adding gnome priviledged applications that are not standard to the Ubuntu distro...many of these want to use gnome-su to verify authorization...this will cause failures in Ubuntu, but is fixed relatively easily if you know how to configure Gnome applications.

It's not perfect, but no Linux distro (or windows, for that matter) is; if you want an alternative to Redhat (not just a derivitive) that is easy to use, this is my first recommendation.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

<-- just got back from setting up debconf5

The package issues are caused by one of the default sources being broken right now.

As for the root issue, its easily solved "sudo passwd root".

Even still there are certainly greater limitations to this distro than to a default debian install, having spoken to a couple of debians developers about the distro they seemed to like it, however still felt debain had the best setup (unsupprisingly lol). I will keep plugging away tommorrow when I have had some sleep, currently Ive been running for about 27 hours, things are a little blurry.. *shakes fist at debconf*