Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pay Microsoft to fix Windows Viruses

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Pay Microsoft to fix Windows Viruses

Think about how this would go over in any other industry.

http://beta.windowsonecare.com/

This service from Microsoft is setup to fix viruses in MS operating systems. LOL. I don't think that the mob would have come up with a better scam. How about fixing the OS so that viruses and worms cannot exploit it in the first place? Naaah, that's not profitable...

--TH13

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Sweet! Where do I sign? I'm just itching to give m$ some more of my loot!

Anyone know any good lawyers? Class action suit?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I agree, it sounds like a huge conflict of interest to me.

If they don't 'fix' a flaw but they can update the AV signature in their product, is that in their best interest or the customers ? And if they update the AV definitions and do not release a patch for the O/S, is that ethical ? I don't see this as the best way to go, but I'm not driven by $$$.

~Halv

AO Senior Cow-beller
    This very same issue came up when they annouced their acquisition of Giant Anti-Spyware. "Do you want to pay for an operating system and support that is more secure, or pay to have problems addressed in fixed proactively?" You can't have both! I'm sure we have an old thread around here somewhere, I haven't searched yet but if I find it I'll link here.

I think it is a potential conflict of interest. There are of course caveats to that, as always. How many of the big worms that have caused us so much heartache (albeit job security) were significant because they exploited known issues that had already been remediated by an official patch/update?

Highlights added by poster
    From the Product Overview page
    Are you tired of spending time trying to protect and maintain your computer? Are you worried that you’re still not doing everything you should to keep it safe and running at optimal performance? If your answer is "Yes," then Windows OneCare is for you. Windows OneCare is built specifically for people who don’t have the time or technical expertise necessary to help secure and manage a computer on a daily basis. It is a comprehensive PC health service that goes beyond security to take an integrated approach to help protect and care for your computer.
    Isn't this what Windows Update Center was supposed to do? And then isn't this what XP-SP2 and the Security Center was supposed to do?

In MS defense, I have yet to see any pricing or indication that this will be a pay service (yet). I believe they have stated that MS Anti-Spyware will be free...if OneCare is free, then I applaud the effort. If they charge you for it, I'd be wary of paying for a service that might just provide things you are owed through your licensed copy of Windows.

/* EDIT */
    I stand corrected (well, I found it myself, but still...)
    Official Press Release

To address the need for a more comprehensive PC health solution, Microsoft Corp. today announced plans to deliver Windows OneCare™, a comprehensive and simple-to-use consumer subscription service that will provide automated protection, maintenance and performance tuning as an all-in-one package for Windows-based PCs. Windows OneCare is initially being distributed to Microsoft® employees this week as part of an extensive testing and development process before broad public beta availability scheduled for later this year.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    The icing on the cake is we QA it for free then pay for it when it's GA. Bill is a genious.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Regal Making Handler
    SO now we see why Microsoft brought Giant and the AV company........................................There had to be a pay day
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

AO Senior Cow-beller

Re: Pay Microsoft to fix Windows Viruses

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    <snip>
    I don't think that the mob would have come up with a better scam.
    <snip>
    You speak that as if you don't think the mob had anything to do with it...all those wise guys have to work SOMEWHERE, now that the DOJ has cracked down on their activities, forcing them to outsource to Columbia, Russia, and what not.

/me glances at his italian sounding last name, obscured from the AO populace

"Fughedaboudit"
    -- Guisseppi 'Guido' Sarducci, VP of 'Stuff', Macroshaft Inc.

You know. Stuff. Unimportant stuff. Unimportant, like "I just got shot in the head" unimportant.

Seriously though, there's a reason the US has anti-trust laws; I'm not going to take a position on on the rulings and actions of MS and the US courts in the last few years, but the number one way to keep companies from exploiting the masses is to not pay for or particiapte in this sort of thing. Easy to say, harder to implement.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Aside from how unethical this move is, and how much room it leaves for corruption and lawsuit against MS, im worried that they wont keep up with defs. MS antri-spyware has declined greatley in the last few months, and misses tons of stuff now. I doubt this will be different.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Well this explains why Microsoft have been taking many months to patch their OS, they have been planning this all along... I would bet my every penny that this service will become out of beta and readily available for the release of Longhorn, of course new OS, new holes
    I\'m Dying To Find Out The Hard Way

This service from Microsoft is setup to fix viruses in MS operating systems. LOL. I don't think that the mob would have come up with a better scam. How about fixing the OS so that viruses and worms cannot exploit it in the first place? Naaah, that's not profitable...

--TH13
    Sounds kinda like pharmaceutical companies. There's no money in cures, lots of money in treatments.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous