START UP MENU MSCONFIG UTILITY for XP-HOME

Thread: START UP MENU MSCONFIG UTILITY for XP-HOME

START UP MENU MSCONFIG UTILITY for XP-HOME

I was wondering what services and stuff I can TURN off in my MSCONFIG UTILITY, for my single machine running XP-HOME ?

I found stuff in there I had NO IDEA was running?
    for example:

"Background Intelligent Transfer Service" this one seems a little intimidating what is it?

and bunch more?

I turned of my DCOM but there is still a check by it, and others things evening though it says NOT RUNNING on some?

I need some direction in this area anyone familiar with this?
    I dont need

ALG is running I think this is a nessarcy file too, but wondering why it is related to port 1026 and PID 2044,but I think this is dynamically assigned each time it runs...I am still learning ...not usre?

helpful comments appreciated

still trying to get to the bottom of port 1026 listening but I pretty sure it is my SONIC

(auto update manager program which I have NO control over,unless i delete it or hopefully turn it off in start up menu)
    Share on Google+

You really shouldn't disable services through the msconfig utility.

You should use the services.msc (start, run, services.msc, ok) and set them to auto/manual/disable depending on the service.

BITS is used by Windows Update for bandwidth management. When your connection is idle or plenty of bandwidth is available, Windows Update will download updates. I beleive that the service is required for the newer versions of Windows Updates.

It basically helps dial up users so when they load a page or download a file... their connection isn't really really slow because of windows updates downloading. When the user stops to read the page or execute their file that they downloaded, etc. BITS will start the windows update download again.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...view/bits.mspx

For more info about services... check the following site. I find the second link more useful...

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12 [Black Viper Mirror]

To figure out what applications are listening on which ports, I recommend fport from foundstone.
    http://www.foundstone.com/index.htm?...desc/fport.htm

You can disable windows update (your auto update?) in the services menu.
    However, I beleive that you have to have this running to use windows update even through their website... If you disable this, you'll have to either enable it when you want to update or download the individual updates... which can be a pain to manage.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.
    Share on Google+

I have FPORT and TCP/VIEW but everytime I run them they run for a second and disappear?
    I can run Process Explorer ok

I can see port 127.0.0.1:1026 is listening using PID 2036 goes to ALG.exe(but thats all I can tell?..)
    using netstat -ano at my DOS promt.

thats the main one I have been trying to figure what it is...
    Share on Google+

I believe fport must be run from the command prompt... the easiest way to do this would be to goto start>run>type cmd then click ok... then drag the fport.exe into the black window that pops up... bring focus on the window and hit return..... that should keep the window from closing when done....... hope I havn't made this sound too complicated.... any probs let me know
    I\'m Dying To Find Out The Hard Way
    Share on Google+

yep got it, I rember the old DOS days! so iunderstand you perfectly...

Thank you for your help now to figure this 1026 TCP listening only... when all windows are closed...mmmh...
    Share on Google+

it just show port 1026 TCP listening PID 2036 .... FPORT didnt display what service it is tied too... but I got ProcessExplorer too by looking at the "STRINGS"

hey I found it! found it!

SONIC (music software came with my new dell.... I thinking of deleting because it wants money to upgrade anyway although I can burn MUSIC cds with it but heck I like Windows Media Player,(is this a good?)

using service ALG.exe to listen Im gusing for "updats" or some company crap or when I connect to their home page

Thank for your help
    Share on Google+

LOL...you ****ing pathetic moron. And look at the other **** who thinks services.smc is some great secret and he's uber l33t. You can ****ing feel his ego from here. I see nothing has changed here.

May I open my pocket so you can piss in it? LMFAO!
    Confirmed Kill....Back and ready to argue!
    Share on Google+

*CK*: I'm not sure what gave you that impression. And... what ego? Anyone that knows me will know that I don't care what people think of me. I posted links to info that ultimately helped him find out the answer to his problem. I never claimed to know some big secret. I just posted an alternative way of going about disabling services.

I was just posting advice... which is more than you are doing.

I didn't know you when you were here... and don't care to know you now.
    I vaguely remember you being some asswipe. Guess you've proven that fact.

BTW: Real mature language. I'm sure you were missed when you were gone.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.
    Share on Google+