Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deepfreeze Vulnerability?

Computer Forensics
    speaking from experience in an edu..people swear by deepfreeze..but they give users admin privileges(because all changes are gone on reboot, which is done nightly). Funny thing about that is you could own the entire network in under 3 minutes and not have to worry about deepfreeze.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

hogfly is right, deepfreeze is good for defending against average to slightly above average users, but in reality, if they are on the computer it is theres.

pop in a boot disk, reboot. you win. it really is that simple.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

DeepFreeze is a management tool, not a security tool. In no way does it, nor was it designed to, improve the security of the client its installed on, or the network. It merely as stated returns the machine to its original state after reboots, and for that it works great.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

If deep freeze is so powerful what would happen if someone were to delete the registery keys on the the computer and no more keys...anyone got an idea?

Each restart eradicates all changes and resets the computer to its original state, right down to the last byte.
    Source:
    Connection refused, try again later.

Originally posted here by hogfly
    please see this thread. I posted a text file on how to hack deepreeze. If I am not mistaken, this is what was used in this case. (correct me if I am wrong).
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...0&pagenumber=1
    The method shown in the thread that Hogfly mentioned is the exact same one that I used. The
    hash containing the password was right where that text file says it is.
    What meaning has my life that the inevitability of death cannot destroy it?

Computer Forensics
    Originally posted here by XTC46
    hogfly is right, deepfreeze is good for defending against average to slightly above average users, but in reality, if they are on the computer it is theres.

pop in a boot disk, reboot. you win. it really is that simple.

Unfortunately I don't recall this being my meaning at all. The misconception by many administrators is that this IS a security product when in fact it's far from it. A lot of admins forego good security practices because the changes made to the system will be wiped in the morning. Users are given administrative rights on the computer and an unfortunate side effect of this, is that someone could own a network in 3 minutes, bypassing the "deepfreeze is a security product" mindset and taking over, even if it's only until the next day.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust