Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Problem

Unhappy Weird Problem

Hi everyone, I have been facing this weird problem while I was trying to look up some material with regard to the history of phreaking. I tried looking up for the history of phreaking in google and got a lot of results but I have been unable to access the website as I keep getting a webpage which says:

"Site Blocked - We apologize the site you are attempting to visit has been blocked due to its content being inconsistent with the religious, cultural, political and moral values of the United Arab Emirates."

I tried asking some of my friends and they said that the proxy server from the ISP is trying to block the particular site that I am trying to access. I just wanted to confirm whether it is the ISP that is blocking this site. Because while I was in India I never faced this problem.

Can there be any solution in order to avoid this problem?
    Rahotra

Which country are you in? I can assume you're in United Arab Emirates...
    You're using a proxy in the United Arab Emirates by choice?

If you just choose to use that proxy, then try another.

Look into programs such as tor @ http://tor.eff.org/
    Another one is JAP @ http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html

However, there have been reports of JAP being backdoored in the past...
    It has supposedly been removed... or hidden better. The source is available.

There are other web based proxies...

http://www.the-cloak.com/login.html
    http://anonymouse.ws/anonwww.html

There have been many organizations out there fighting things like this.

You could get red flagged by trying to bypass your ISPs proxy if they are forcing it on you. I don't know your laws and etc.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I am not exactly sure how that works, but I have been over in that area of the world a few times and I know that many of those Middle Eastern countries will only allow internet access for certain sites and they are heavily monitored by the government of that country.

If you are living in one of those kinds of countries over there, I would highly suggest NOT trying to find a way around it because if you do so you are violating the laws of that country and I myself wouldn't want to find out the consequences of doing so, especially if I was not a citizen of that country
    \"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends\"-Ed Norton/25th Hour

Outer_Heaven: I would think you'd have a different view seeing the signature you choose.

A Coward Dies A Thousand Times Before His Death, The Valiant Tastes of Death But Once. -William Shakespeare
    But.. this is not cosmos... so I'll stop here.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

he can get here just fine so i wouldn't exactly call risking possible extreme punishment to read about the history of phreaking 'valiant' or not doing so cowardly.

here's IMO an interesting read about the hist of phreaking, hacking, viruses etc.:

http://www.insecure.org/stf/approaching_zero.txt

although it's written in 1993, we are talking history. if you can't get there let me know. i have it in doc format zipped
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Outer_Heaven: I would think you'd have a different view seeing the signature you choose.

Really phishphreek80? Have you ever been over in that part of the world? Do you know what it is really like there? Some of those countries will still cut your hand off for stealing. And I thought we didn't promote illegal activities on this website?

\"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends\"-Ed Norton/25th Hour

Originally posted here by Outer_Heaven
    Really phishphreek80? Have you ever been over in that part of the world? Do you know what it is really like there? Some of those countries will still cut your hand off for stealing.

To answer your question.. no. I've never been there. But apparently he is there by choice.

Because while I was in India I never faced this problem.
    And I thought we didn't promote illegal activities on this website?
    It is not illegal in my country to use a proxy. Therefore I'm not promoting illegal activities. Its not my responsibility to know the laws of another country. I only need to know my state and federal laws. That is up to each individual to use or not use information provided in accordance with their laws.

No, go on, I would really love to hear this from someone who's only real predicaments in life have amounted to a zit and some final exams
    I would go on... but apparently I've got some zits to pop. I certainly have exams to study for.

Besides, I wasn't trying to start any argument. I simply said I was surprised at your answer based on your choice of signature. I don't get involved with the political threads here and I'm not trying to make this one. This isn't cosmos. I suppose I should have never made the comment... It certainly wasn't meant to be offensive...

Besides, I wasn't trying to start any argument. I simply said I was surprised at your answer based on your choice of signature. I don't get involved with the political threads here and I'm not trying to make this one. This isn't cosmos. I suppose I should have never made the comment... It certainly wasn't meant to be offensive...
    My sincere apologies, I have already went back and edited it before you even posted because it was wrong of me to say that, whether you meant to be offensive or not. I took it the wrong way, but it was still wrong of me to continue some stupid arguement anyway.

But yeah, they are VERY serious, most countries there. India is more liberal than the rest of those countires around there, so that is why he was able to access sites there. A lot of the other middle eastern countries do have internet access, but it is HIGHLY monitored by the State, only allowing State approved websites, and as rahotra said, they only allow sites that are in the best tastes and interests of their religion and culture. Because in that part of the world, religion is the government and makes the laws.

Telling someone over there how to bypass that countries ISP to access websites? You might as well put a gun in their hands and tell them to put it to their head and pull the trigger, because that is a very good possibilty of what could happen, if they are lucky, in that part of the world. Not to offend anyone who may be from there on our beloved site, but it really is a totally different world over there. And if this rahorta IS a foriegn national residing in that country and he were to do that? You might as well throw espionage on top of that list of whatever messed up charges they would put on him

But I do sincerely apollogize for flying off the handle like that. I took things the wrong way & should have explained why that really wouldn't be a good idea for him to do that instead of provoking an arguement that wasn't even what it seemed.

What is cosmos anyway? You got me wondering for a sec cause there is a bar that I go to around where I live (one of a few), called cosmos and I was like, WTF??? That couldn't be!!! LOL.

But again, I apologize for everything and hope there are no hard feelings. I do remember you were the one who took the time to get me started on wardriving to begin with, giving me the basics, which I still do quite often for fun & learning, but now I got a few commmands I can run & ethereal, which I am still figuring out, but is making more and more sense the more I use it. But I am very thankful to you for taking the time to get me started on that.

But once again, I do apologize for coming at you like that

No appology needed.

I see what you are saying about their way of life. I take for granted "our" way of life because I know no other way. But again... I've got no way to know what everyones laws are. If I moved to another country... then I would have to learn their laws.

Cosmos is a forum here to discuss this type of thing...

http://www.antionline.com/forumdispl...?s=&forumid=60

I took it for granted that everyone knew what it is really like overthere and thank God for our way of life and this country and the freedoms we have and this is in no way directed towards you, or anyone for that matter because most people have never been outside the U.S., but most will really never understand just how good we have it in this country and how lucky we are and I have put my life on the line quite a few times for her, and have had people close to me give their's for her. Whether people agree with the war or not, I care not, because when it comes down to it, it is all about your buddy on your left and right.

I am sorry talking about this here, but I felt I owed you an explanation as to why I flew off the handle and why I took things the way I did. I was wrong for doing so.

Actually, I think I will go wardriving right now. I was about to go last night but then decided nah. I gotta go check out my buddies PC anyway. He has got something on it broadcasting I counted about 850 packets in about 10 to 15 seconds. I will be starting a thread about that later on tonight or tomorrow