Thread: confustion about IRC

confustion about IRC

Hi,

An intro 'bout me:
    I'll complete graduation in Computer Science in 2 yrears hence... I'm having a feeling that I don't know anything more than what my syllabus touches. So I decide to learn more...
    I've seen AO 1 yr b4.. I used to read stuff...
    Now I feel Google/AO coupling will propell me ahead... 'n Joined in.

Now, my doubt ...
    1) I'm a new user to IRC.
    For the first time, one day morning I joined one room... Then left the room after some time ..
    Then later in the eveing, i entered the same room with the another display name, and email ... Then when i talked with a person in the room, he told me that he had seen me that day morning also... ??

How did he know ?
    Did he find my IP ?

I reffered some help files..
    I didn't find anything so that u can find any other's IP .. So maybe he found my ISP ??
    Can an admin of a room find other's ip ??
    (*I don't remember whether he was admin or not)

2) I've seen some tutorials 'bout IRC commands etc. But none of them tell us about some nice channels, where you find informative 'n helping ppl...??
    Do u ppl. have some IRC hangnouts ??

thats all.
    -InfoGen

Hey Hey,

When you join an IRC channel a message is displayed that someone has joined... Nickname (user@address) has entered #Channel or something along those lines... If you change your Nick and your email address.. there's a good chance that your ident is the same (which would be the user portion of the user@address)... in windows clients like mIRC this is set through the options tabs... in clients like BitchX and irssi it's the username that you're logged in as. Also if you have broadband there's a good chance that your address hasn't changed either. Some servers now mask your address (to prevent DoS attacks, etc) but others do not.. so whether or not they saw this would depend on the server you connected to... however even on masked ones, it will be XX.XXX.XXX.IP if your hostname cannot be resolved or XXX.rogers.com (for example) if you hostname is resolved.... so they could just be matching up the available information and recognizing you.

As for servers around here. A few people run servers.

You'll find users on irc.unerror.com and irc.michiels.nu, feel free to stop by either and say hey.

Peace,
    HT

I use mIRC.
    I use cable connection.
    So, is there any way I can secure myself ?
    I obviously don't want others to see my IP...

Originally posted here by InfoGen
    I use mIRC.
    I use cable connection.
    Hey Hey,

If you don't want others to see your IP... don't use the internet...

Stick to IRC servers that mask your address; however, you have to remember that the admins will still see your address... Another option is a BNC (are these still used?? it's been a while since I was big into IRC)... basically you purchase a BNC account and use it as a proxy.. While most IRC servers scan for open proxies (preventing the use of, for example, the same proxy that you use to browse websites). You could also obtain a *nix shell and use an IRC client through it... also masking your IP...

Remember, though, that your IP Address is seen by many many people every day... on every website you visit, with every email you send, with every file you transfer... It's out there whether you like it or not... Rather than mask your address, protect your machine and harden it properly..

You'll hear it time and time again on this site... Security through Obscurity isn't an answer, it's a temporary stepping stone.... You need to be confident with your computer and the level of security that you have setup on it... in the end that's all that matters...

I could give you my IP Address right now... it doesn't mean anything will happen to me... If that were the case there'd be no websites... every website has an IP Address associated with it... For the most part the machines are secure... and that's what keeps them safe...

Peace,
    HT

irc.michiels.nu
    couldnt find the server, maybe you mispelled it ?
    O.G at A.O

Originally posted here by ©opy®ight
    couldnt find the server, maybe you mispelled it ?
    Hey Hey,

I'm connected to it right now... even disconnected and copied and pasted it in just to be sure...

Try madness.smdc-network.org it's the same server..

Peace,
    HT

Ok, that one works. Tx.
    O.G at A.O

Originally posted here by InfoGen
    I use mIRC.
    I use cable connection.
    you can try to register a username at http://cservice.undernet.org/live , that is if u are on the undernet servers and please register or use a very unique email address (no yahoo,hotmail,gmail, etc.). by that u can use your new registered username everytime u use the irc with any undernet server. when u are connected at the undernet server u have to type:
    /msg x@channels.undernet.org login yourusername yourpassword
    /mode yournick +x <----this way undernet will hide your real ip address with sumthing like you@yourusername.undernet.org

work it on dude. i hope u can get through that.
    .sig na ture.

HT, thanx for the prop...
    I thought that if anybody knew my ip, it was all going to be over...
    I use 2 firewalls, 'n I feel I'm pretty secure... (hehe.. though I can't give out my IP 'n challenge others)... Gotta be more careful in selcting the clients..

Thanksl for the apt response.

-InfoGeek

(edit)
    Yatot: I'll sneak around with that(/edit)

I'll complete graduation in Computer Science in 2 yrears hence... I'm having a feeling that I don't know anything more than what my syllabus touches. So I decide to learn more...
    I've seen AO 1 yr b4.. I used to read stuff...
    Now I feel Google/AO coupling will propell me ahead... 'n Joined in.
    I've seen one or two other people doing this... we have roll-call for this.

I thought that if anybody knew my ip, it was all going to be over...
    I use 2 firewalls, 'n I feel I'm pretty secure... (hehe.. though I can't give out my IP 'n challenge others)... Gotta be more careful in selcting the clients..
    Take it from a true psychopath and probably the closest thing AO currently has to a criminal element... no one cares about you, your day to day, or your problems. Infact im going to leave this be to find something interesting to read.