Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much security of computer

Too much security of computer

I'm a bit confuse about the security of computer because here are too much kinds of security. can anyone tell me what is the different between Network Security, Web Security, Programming Security and Computer security??

i'll take a crack at this, but anyone feel free to point out anything that may be wrong.

>> I'm a bit confuse about the security of computer because here are too
    >> much kinds of security. can anyone tell me what is the different between
    >> Network Security, Web Security, Programming Security and Computer security??

You can think of your computer as a house. That would be Computer Security. If anyone was to gain physical access to your house (standing outside) then you would have to think in terms of what they could or could not do to enter or cause damage. You'd want locks on the doors (think passwords). You would want to make sure your house is kept clean of pests and such, so you would hire someone to spray for rodents (think anti spyware software and anti virus).

Network security could be thought of as your neighborhood. Pretend you and your neighbors are all friends, but you still don't want Mr. Jones peeking inside your windows during dinner time. You would want to close the curtains (think network shares and file shares and firewalls) and open them only when you choose to (if at all).

Web security can be thought of as solicitors coming to your door. You'd want signs posted saying " no soliciting " (think AV and email filters). You would want your friends to be able to pop over and share a brew or two, so you would use email though. Your friends would bring things over (think attachments) but sometimes they might get shaken up and cause spillage all over your new hardwood floors and stuff (think virus stuff). You would want AV to help with that. Sometimes your friends would bring their friends over who may be a big dense or rowdy for your tastes. You would want to be able to talk to the friends of your friends first, but they would still be at your house (you could compare this to a web browser [think FIREFOX vs IE] none are perfect, but some are better than others).

I hope this helps and doesnt make it seem complicated. Security itself can be complicated, but you'd want to take it in a step by step approach.

~Halv

Here is an easy way to go about things...

<insert a word> now think of ways that you'd keep this secure, to prevent or atleast ease the effects of potential problems which may come with the term you've just picked. Uhhh... the end.

OK Wesker, I will give that a try:

There are many different sides to computer security so they are split up for easy understanding?

1. Computer Security.

This is the security of the computer in front of you. The one that you are using right now. It can be stopping people using it, even physically stealing it. Also preventing viruses, trojans, keyloggers. Even having your data stolen?

2. Network Security

Here you are providing a network service such as at a school or business. You need to protect this service and the people who use it. These are "servers" that their "client" machines connect to.

3. Web Security

This means the Internet. In theory it is very similar to network security, but because of the external links and lesser control it can be much more complex.

4. Programming Security.

Not too sure on this but with my systems I make sure that the application will only let authorised persons do what they are allowed. I would call it "applications security" Perhaps you could give me an idea of where you came across the term?

Hope that helps

Guys thanks for your helps very clear explain, now I understand what's the differents now. So if a hacker wants to hack into some companies computer (form internet to server then hack into individual computer) they need to know all Web Security, Network Security,Computer Security are thay?? Geez that must be hard....

So if a hacker wants to hack into some companies computer (form internet to server then hack into individual computer) they need to know all Web Security, Network Security,Computer Security are thay?? Geez that must be hard....
    While this is true. It's all about the escalation of privileges if you can get into any one system you can then easily access all trusting systems. If you can compromise a web server you may be able to see everything within an internet without any other work involved. Point is, make sure all your systems have the same level of reasonable security because a backdoor to one system is usually a back door to a whole network.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous

Ahhhhhhh! I wish it were so.

1. A company may have a website and can be attacked through this. If the webserver is connected to its network, and is compromised, this may well give access to the entire network. It SHOULD NOT but it is quite possible.

2. A company may have no website but has a network that allows remote access. They can be attacked through this, which would only require knowledge of that network and its vulnerabilities.

3. As for your computer (individual desk top) there are three situations:

a] It is locked down, so an intruder could do very little
    b] It is wide open [very common, companies rely on network defences]
    c] It is one of mine

Please remember that if a company is worth even thinking about hacking, it should have at least got policies in place where there is nothing of interest on the desktop machines (except mine and then you would need to know design specifications, test plans or whatever....it would be of no value or interest to outsiders, and insiders are welcome to come and look........we lock the doors, it is difficult to get user department help without a little co-ercement )

Banned
    4. Programming Security.
    Not too sure on this but with my systems I make sure that the application will only let authorised persons do what they are allowed. I would call it "applications security" Perhaps you could give me an idea of where you came across the term?
    Nah, programming security is preventing and/or removing flaws or the potential for flaws at the code level. These flaws may be poor garbage collection, laziness with buffers or format strings, or even just applications that require too much power to complete their tasks.

cheers,

catch

Thanks Catch I knew someone would sort that for me.

Hey, have you been promoted?

Banned
    promoted? How so?

catch