Thread: AT&T planning Security Channel

AO Senior Cow-beller

AT&T planning Security Channel

While this may sound interesting, I don't know how feasible this is. I can tell you that when the new worm breaks out, I'm not going to be sitting in front of my monitor watching some AT&T feed on up-to-the-minute developments. "Ooooh! Look Jim, Symantec has now released an official warning and preliminary report! What an exciting development!" Gimme a break.

But it could be useful if there was enough content and data to keep it online and relevant.

AT&T plans CNN-syle security channel
    Video streaming service will carry Internet security news 24/7

By Stephen Lawson and Robert McMillan, IDG News Service
    June 23, 2005

Security experts at AT&T are about to take a page from CNN's playbook. Within the next year they will begin delivering a video streaming service that will carry Internet security news 24 hours a day, seven days a week, according to the executive in charge of AT&T Labs.

The service, which currently goes by the code name Internet Security News Network, (ISN) is under development at AT&T Labs, but it will be offered as an additional service to the company's customers within the next nine to 12 months, according to Hossein Eslambolchi, president of AT&T’s Global Networking Technology Services and AT&T Labs

ISN will look very much like Time Warner's Cable News Network, except that it will be broadcast exclusively over the Internet, Eslambolchi said. "It's like CNN," he said. "When a new attack is spotted, we'll be able to offer constant updates, monitoring, and advice."

The online video channel will feature interviews with AT&T security professionals, as well as experts from a variety of different organizations like network hardware vendors and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT). All the while, news on the latest security vulnerabilities will stream across the bottom of the screen, much like the ticker symbols used by TV news networks, Eslambolchi said. "You will see... what viruses exist and where they came from," he said.

...full article...
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

I hope this channel will not include your typical local news story types like "OMG Hackers are watching you take a crap, while stealing your baby, your identity, and your virginity. News at 11!"

Should be interesting.
    Tachyon

|-----|Alcohol is my anti-drug |-----|

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Hehe, that makes me think bad things. Not that I wish bad on anyone...well that's not true, but irrelevant...I am curious to see how long it takes them to get cracked.

"On todays breaking headlines, j00 0wnz0r m3, bi0tch3s!!!!1111"
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

yeah I was just thinking that myself.

This is kind of like naming a server on your network 'Holy Grail'

=P
    Tachyon

|-----|Alcohol is my anti-drug |-----|

I give it three days of online broadcast before the first major outage of the webcast and maybe a week until somone makes them look like asses while continuing the broadcast.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com