Thread: Internet connection

Question Internet connection

Hey,
    I was just wondering how to have your computer connect automatically to the internet once the computer is turned on without having to click on the connect application.

**I'm using windows XP sp2 with a broadband connection

thanks,
    s3nate

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Hmmm. Well, it *sounds* like you have some sort of DSL connection that is 'on-demand' instead of 'always-on'. Is that correct?

If so, you could probably write some sort of script to start the connection during Windows execution of the start up scripts.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Found this :

1) In Control Panel open "Network Connections"
    2) Right click on your broadband connection icon and select "Properties"
    3) Uncheck "Prompt for name and password..."
    4) Click "OK"
    5) Open your "C:/Documents and settings" folder
    6) Open the "All Users" folder
    7) Open the "Start Menu" folder
    8) Open the "Programs" folder
    9) Go to your Programs Folder -> Startup
    9) Copy a short-cut of your Broadband Connection, from the Network Connections folder in to the "Startup" folder

Source : http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_pppoe.htm

Dialup or boradband?
    Knowledge 2 Knowledge - [ n e r d i f i e d ]

Dialup or boradband?
    Answered here
    I'm using windows XP sp2 with a broadband connection
    the type of broadband is required.. Some USB modems are spoken to as in the comment regarding the internet settings see the comments from zencoder and hesperus.. some adsl modems auto connect (these are like the Router modems etc.. ) and as such you on a perm connection....

so perhaps a bit of info on the modem will help..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hi,

so perhaps a bit of info on the modem will help..
    It is the driver software I suspect. My BT voyager 100 modem just got killed in a thunderstom and I have a Connexant replacement. The connexant would connect automatically if I put a script into the start up routine. I don't think that it would be quite as easy with the old BT one, but still possible.

However, you should not do this, as it is very poor security. Unless an electrical device is required, it should be turned OFF Not only will this save you money, it might just save your life.

Always force a deliberate running of software. If you have dealt with as many conflict issues as I have you would understand this OK if I really needed to I would at least write a "sleep" command into the script to let everything else get started and settled before connecting?

well you could get a broad band router. most of them have ppp0e clients that make the connection instead of your computer and can be set to remake the connection if it gets dropped. this will also allow you to attach more computers

the westell 2200 is what verizon is currently issuing. this is a router that contains the winpoet client

if you still have the pppoe client on your computer see if you can get your hands on an older install disk. there is an option on the older version to connect on windows start which i havn't seen on the newer winpoet installs. i have it if you can't get it.

or you could put it in the startup folder as has already been said
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”