Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Genuine Cracked??

Regal Making Handler

Windows Genuine Cracked??

I guess it was only a matter of time.

Microsoft’s anti-piracy program cracked

Indian breaks the unbreakable

By Nick Farrell: Thursday 23 June 2005, 07:16
    A BANGALORE programmer has managed to break Microsoft’s anti-counterfeiting system called Windows Genuine Advantage.

Vole has always touted the WGA as unhackable, in the same way that the White Star Line considered its famous tub, the Titanic, to be unsinkable.

According to rediff.com, Debasis Mohanty managed to cracked WGA through an "easy-to-exploit" weakness in the software. So no surprises there then.

Mohanty posted a proof-of-concept programme on Vole's security mailing list.

It shows how the WGA validation check can be tricked to generate key codes on illegal copies of the software. The trick is to use a secondary Microsoft validation tool called 'genuinecheck.Exe'.

Vole has confirmed that Mohanty has managed to crack the WGA, but claimed the hack represented very little threat. So that is all right then.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Hi jinxy,

Like you said..." it's just a matter of time "

I once dated this woman who had three locks on her doors...top, middle, and bottom...she thought she was secure until I mentioned that all someone had to do was break a window and climb in...

there is no such thing as absolute security...if someone wants in bad enough, they'll find a way.

Eg

Personally I will turn the Titanic into a children's story and focus on the boat being "unsinkable". Throw in a rmonace so it can have a happy ending, and it would be a perfect children's story with a very good moral.

False security is what made them take less lifeboats, since the boat was unsinkable. Had they never believed that, they would have had enough lifeboats for everyone. False security is worse than no security.

Unfortunately, nobody has learned anything from that boat.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Unfortunately, nobody has learned anything from that boat.
    I did... I learned never to get on a boat called Titanic on anything bigger than your local pond....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Regal Making Handler
    As above and also, the utter cringe factor of a particular Canadian womans song
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Vole has always touted the WGA as unhackable
    I think I found the vuln
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Fox:

Yes you did.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Titanic turned away from the iceberg.

Vole has confirmed that Mohanty has managed to crack the WGA, but claimed the hack represented very little threat. So that is all right then
    :O OK what else do you want him to do ????

OK what else do you want him to do ????
    Nothing. His comment is right in line with any normal business practice. He was well coached by the Public Relations Department on what to say. However...

Microsoft’s anti-piracy program cracked...but claimed the hack represented very little threat...
    ...the WGA validation check can be tricked to generate key codes on illegal copies of the software...
    Seems to me that, that is a pretty significant financial threat! I should call a stock broker and invest in Charmin. There's going to be a real shortage as MS loads their shorts.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.