Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Genuine Cracked??

Titanic turned away from the iceberg.
    No matter if it streed away from the ice berg or flew away from it
    It did sink din't it ??

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    An update for this was posted on Slashdot. In case the original site gets flooded here's what they say:

Microsoft "Genuine Advantage" cracked in 24h: window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all'
    AV sez, "This week, Microsoft started requiring users to verifiy their serial number before using Windows Update. This effort to force users to either buy XP or tell them where you got the illegal copy is called 'Genuine Advantage.' It was cracked within 24 hours."

Before pressing 'Custom' or 'Express' buttons paste this text to the address bar and press enter:

Code:
    javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')
    It turns off the trigger for the key check.
    I think MS needs to go back to the drawing board about this. Perhaps, much like patching methodologies, application and OS sales may need to be rethought. Traditional methods may not be sufficient any more.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Senior Cow-beller
    If they want to be serious, they need to start requiring hardware keys.

Let's revive The Dongle!!!

This reminds me of the fiasco with Sony, magicmarkers, electrical tape, and sh!tty music from Celine Dion.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/05...ky_tape_crack/
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Originally posted here by Striek
    Personally I will turn the Titanic into a children's story and focus on the boat being "unsinkable". Throw in a rmonace so it can have a happy ending, and it would be a perfect children's story with a very good moral.

False security is what made them take less lifeboats, since the boat was unsinkable. Had they never believed that, they would have had enough lifeboats for everyone. False security is worse than no security.

Unfortunately, nobody has learned anything from that boat.
    Not quite true. The cheif builder guy type dude quit in a big huff because they refused to accept the fact they need more boats, because 16 was legaly enough for any ship-- even if it did have over 2500 people on it.
    Hi.

Is it really a HACK?!?!?

Hello All,

Looking into this Doc (attached) by Debasis Mohanty, it clearly shows that its not a HACK et al.

It shows how the WGA validation check can be tricked to generate key codes on illegal copies of the software. The trick is to use a secondary Microsoft validation tool called 'genuinecheck.Exe'.

... 6. After downloading “GenuineCheck.exe”, run it on the machine running a genuine copy of Windows XP. It will generate a code which is used for WGA validation. Copy the code and use the same code to validate a pirated copy of Windows XP and bypass the WGA...

- :S:
    \"And life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.\"

Regal Making Handler
    Here's another work round: http://home19.inet.tele.dk/jys05000/
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Titanic seemed pretty pathetic to me. Same with Microsoft

AO Senior Cow-beller
    I'm mostly concerened with a pwned ISP being subject to ARP/DNS/etc. poisoning, and some cracker setting up an MitM or Pharming site, collecting authentic keys.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

AO Senior Cow-beller

Re: Is it really a HACK?!?!?

Originally posted here by :Singh:
    Hello All,

Looking into this Doc (attached) by Debasis Mohanty, it clearly shows that its not a HACK et al.

- :S:
    I would say yes, it is really a hack. You are hacking their system to coerce it to do something it was not intended to do. You could say it was a crack, in that it is making their system provide a service/data to a node that should not receive it, via false credentials. It's a matter of semantics, but the point is the same. They say it can't be done; enter stage left 6 geeks whoe've done it without breaking a sweat.

In the sense of "I have a screwdriver and some free time, let's see what I can learn about this widget" it is absolutely a hack.

To really make this as secure as possible, each package should locally validate the licensing credentials individually, without reliance on anything external; that would increase the size and function of patches to utter uselessness...much like most of Microsofts bloatware^U software offerings.

All this WGA is news to me...perhaps I just won't update....seems to me from past experience that updating is like patching a boat leaking like a siw by filling it with lead instead...meh...

* Takes of clothes and goes linux! *
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.