Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im having a problem installing something

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

Im having a problem installing something

ok, I just tried to install the newest version of Americas Army the pc game. well i unzipped it, and started the install then after it was almost done installing a get an error message saying something to the effect: Error 1606/profiles/favorites/network something ( I think sorry i didnt write it down!) well i have been having a problem with my favorites in IE so oviously something is corrupted because it wouldnt let me finish the install so do I have to re-download the whole game again? 885 MB! or is it saved somewhere on my computer? I used the windows unzipper thing, i wasnt smart and didn't unzip with WinZip.. sorry for the long explaination... im running XP Pro
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hi Tex~

Did you download it then install, or try to install from the site?

I always save to a temporary folder then install from there when I am not on line.

Try looking in your temporary files and do a search on file date?

I have done a search to no avail I downloaded it and then tried to install... and FYI here is the full error message im getting from my corrupted favorites folder.: Error 1606. Could not access network location%Userprofile%\favorites\. That error is preventing me from installing this game ( i dont know if it is preventing me from installing anything else yet, i havent tried.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    You've messed up your permissions by the look of it and you are not an admin under this account.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

How is it possible to mess up my permissions? im the only person who uses this computer and im under the admin account? I thought administrators had ultimate power lol
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

How is it possible to mess up my permissions? im the only person who uses this computer and im under the admin account? I thought administrators had ultimate power lol
    Tiger Shark does, and when he wants to go for a beer, I take over for him?........teamwork ?

Tex~ are you saying that this 850Mb file is not there at all, or that it is, but just won't do the installation bit?

Try creating a new user account with admin rights, and do it from there. That should test Tiger's theory......?

Also, check that you are running the right browser and are connected if that is what it wants..........like if you are running FireFox and it wants IE?

Just a couple of thoughts?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Nihil: Allow me, Please....

How is it possible to mess up my permissions? im the only person who uses this computer and im under the admin account?
    I run several machines where the administrative account is _denied_ access to all drives.... That means _denied_ to the entire drive of every drive... period! No ums, ahhs or fuxxes.... The admin is denied access... Get it yet?

You either have to be my account or system before you can do anything.... Think about it... It works just fine....

What did you do?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hi The Texan,

Here's your error message...

You receive an "Error 1606" error message when you try to install ...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;886549
    You receive an "Error 1606" error message when you try to install or remove a Microsoft program

Hope it helps.

Eg

I will give yall a little more background: This problem with my corrupted favorites list ( theydont show in IE but do show in Firefox) happened after I accidently uninstalled some Earthlink software ( my ISP) but my internet still works fine so i figured there was no prob. well anyway i went to the americasarmy website and downloaded the newest version, unzipped it with windows unzipper ( not winzip) and then tried to install it. well it got almost all the way done and then a box pops up with the 1606 error and i pressed cancel and it totally shut down the install now i dont know if i have to redownload it or if its still saved somewhere. FYI I tried just totally uninstalling americasarmy and it gave me the 1606 error and wont even let me uninstall it! I tried Eg, suggestion with the link he gave me and my registry checks out fine.

edit: I created a new account to test tigers theory and something very strange happened, AmericasArmy didnt show up at all in my programs folder or in add/remove programs ( it shouldnt because i uninstalled it earlier) but when i got back into my admin account that i always use the program with still there ( remember i said it wouldnt install or uninstall properly) I think there is a problem with a windows installer because everytime that starts up i get the 1606 error and i have to shutdown my install or uninstall whatever im doing. OK its official i cant install or uninstall ANYTHING something is really messed up ( im guessing with my windows installer, or MSI?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hi The Texan,

Apparently it has to do with InstallShield...according to a few sites I checked out ( eg. Java, etc... )...so I checked out this...

http://support.installshield.com/kb/...icleid=Q107104
    Q107104 ERRDOC: Windows Installer Error 1606

which has a link to this...

Having trouble installing software on your home computer? Get the answer to error 1606 at InstallShield's Consumer Central.
    Best I can do...hope it helps!

Eg