Thread: Ring...Would you like to buy...

Ring...Would you like to buy...

Telemarketers target cell phones...
    After years of impunity, America's 190 million cellular telephone subscribers are now more apt than ever to encounter telemarketers.

There was a rash of complaints to federal regulators 18 months ago when telemarketers were confused by new rules allowing people to transfer their home telephone numbers to cell phones, which then started ringing with telemarketing calls. Then in March, BellCanada cellular customers were targeted by a company pitching a low-cost trip to Mexico. The same message has recently surfaced in San Francisco.
    I'm glad I don't have one...

http://news.com.com/Telemarketers+ta...?tag=nefd.lede
    Telemarketers target cell phones | CNET News.com

I've long since had my home phone and cell phone number on the do not call list.

I can say that I've yet to receive one call on either of those lines...

However, I still do get them at work... even though I've added every public phone number to that list... Not sure how they get around it. We generally follow the policy... calls xfered from the receptionist... do not answer. Direct calls we answer. If someone really needs to get ahold of me... they'll call my cell. I also have caller id to help identify callers.

Some good tips on how to deal with all the advertisers...
    http://www.obviously.com/junkmail/

Don't forget to add ALL your phone numbers to the do not call registry

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx (only good for US)

I don't get any junk snail mail anymore either... not sure how I got off that one.
    I remember saying something to my mom about all the junk mail I got when I stopped by to use her cross shredder. She told me she'd take care of it... and somehow she did. I'll have to find out what she did to stop it all. I used to get tons of junk mail and all of a sudden it stopped.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hmmm,

Interesting, over here I never get any marketing stuff on my cellphone. I think that is because of our pricing structure? I guess it costs them about 50 cents a minute from a land line?

You get stuff on the landline, but I could kill it if I wanted to. Junkmail is not a problem, I get a few weird things, but a lot of them are for my late father (same initials ) so I just tell them that he is deceased and it stops.

Yeah, that is an increasing problem .... Every week I get like three messages .... and monthely call from an advertiseres .... I called my service provider ... and they said in coldblood sorry we can't help you on this .... this trend shifts to higher rate yearly ....

And worse still they call you in a really bad time ..... and sometimes I lose my sense of mildness and lash out with fire on them ... and just end the call with bad mood ....

Some might say, shift to another service provider .... I would say they are alone in the goddamn market, kinda monopolization! .... this is why they are so damn bad ...

Phishy, thanks for link ... It may help me to control myself mroe ....
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hmmm,
    Interesting, over here I never get any marketing stuff on my cellphone. I think that is because of our pricing structure? I guess it costs them about 50 cents a minute from a land line?
    heh the annoying thing over here is if you have call-divert on your landline number to your mobile and someone calls your landline, they pay the cost of the call to your landline as normal, you pay for the cost of the call from your landline to the mobile you have it diverted to.

Which means if a telelmarketer calls your home phone and you have it set to divert to your mobile you actually pay for the telemarketers call! lol

I actually used to work in tele-sales (hey someone has to )
    and i remember once calling someone up to flog - a phone package of all things - lol
    conversation went something like this

*ring*ring*
    <me>Hi this is v_Ln from X company can I speak to.....
    <them>s,dfhksdfbskhskfbsmb (really rushed muffled words)
    *dead line*
    /me thinks it is dodgy line tries again
    *ring*ring*
    <me>Hi this is v_Ln from X company again can I speak to.....
    <them>s,dfhksdfbskhskfbsmb (really rushed muffled words)
    *dead line*
    /me thinks domething weird going on - calls back AGAIN
    *ring*ring*
    <me>Hi this is v_Ln from.......
    <them>look stop calling me you little **** this is my mobile - I have direct on I'M PAYING FOR THIS CALL!!!!!
    <me>*a lil annoyed at being swore at*Sorry what was that sir?
    <them>I have direct on I'M PAYING FOR THIS CALL!!!!! I - AM - PAYING - FOR - U - 2 - CALL!!!!
    <me>I'm having problems hearing you sir - what was that?
    <them>THIS IS COSTING ME MONEY!!!! YOU ARE CALLING MY MOBILE
    <me>no sir i called your house phone
    <them>I KNOW BUT I HAVE DIVERT ON

and so on and so on

I managed to keep him on the line for about 5mins (during peak rate) before I think he finally caught on i was draggin the call out cause he had been a dick. Never made the sale tho =/
    But maybe someone else had more luck - I scheduled him for a call back for the same time the next week

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I remember saying something to my mom about all the junk mail I got when I stopped by to use her cross shredder. She told me she'd take care of it...
    You didn't say you had Italian blood in you ???
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone