Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: want to buy custom computer, best specs..

Originally posted here by The Duck
    Htregz Don't worry man, your system isn't to far from the rest of ours, all you really need to do is upgrade your ram to a gig, the 5200 is still a good card, although it MIGHT need an upgrade soon...

The only reason mine stayed low to around 800 bucks is because I already had a keyboard mouse and monitor, and GREAT speakers with a great subwoofer...
    Hey Hey,

The gig of RAM is definately coming.... as soon as I get some money I'll stick in another 512MB stick.. my VMs really lag with that 768...

The rest of it holds up considering I don't game.... The only game played on this system is Day of Defeat.. and that's maybe an hour every month... It's sad... I've got this system, a PS2, a gamecube, a sega, a nintendo, a super nintendo, an atari and a nintendo64 and I spent 20 minutes yesterday playing WWF Super Wrestlemania on the genesis.. only because I wanted to be the Ultimate Warrior.. other than that.. I haven't touched a game in month..

I won't upgrade the system again... as far as I'm concerned, PC gaming is dead... the console is the way to go... especially with the upcoming PS3 (which I will definately be buying)...

We were actually talking the other day about buying a stack of PS3s (the computing power seems pretty ridiculous) and installing the PS3 Linux that's coming out and setting up a password cracking cluster on them.

Peace,
    HT

AFLAAACKKK!!
    PC gaming is dead
    What gave you that idea?

I think it's all a matter of personal preference. Battleground 2 on the PC is gonna seriously kick ass. PC has some other great games... Far Cry, Doom 3, ages of empires 3 is coming out, the CS and Tribes games, Guild wars is gonna kick ass, star wars galaxies... the list goes on, I think your underestimating the PC's ability . But PS3 does look simply amazing... I think I will have to purchase a PS3 as well... my first PS purchase ever...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

What gave you that idea?

I think it's all a matter of personal preference. Battleground 2 on the PC is gonna seriously kick ass. PC has some other great games... Far Cry, Doom 3, ages of empires 3 is coming out, the CS and Tribes games, Guild wars is gonna kick ass, star wars galaxies... the list goes on, I think your underestimating the PC's ability . But PS3 does look simply amazing... I think I will have to purchase a PS3 as well... my first PS purchase ever...
    Hey Hey,

I'm not underestingmating the PC's ability... I know quite well what it can do... I just think the PC is too limited... it's a single player gaming environment... It appeals to the socially inept.. They claim to "play with others" but others could be saying their 15 years old and is really a 40 year old with no life... Consoles give you this option, but with support for multiple gamepads and the size of TVs, it's a much cheaper and easier way to play multiplayer games and be social at the same time... LAN Parties the only way to accomplish this with a PC and they're the epitome of geekdom. Sure PC gaming is huge... but that's going to start dying off, especially with the availability of new systems... PC Gaming appeals to the 13-20 year old guy with no real social skills or no "real" friends... Console gaming appeals to everyone... I have a 9 year old cousin who loves console gaming... you think she'd sit at a computer all day? My girlfriend loves to sit and play GTA San Andreas... I've offered to get it for her for PC and all she says is ewww no... I'd have to sit in front of a monitor... with the console she can sprawl on the couch and relax... With the console, I can have friends over... we can crack a few beers and spread out on the floor, couch, chairs, wherever and play, play play... we can hook up to the VDP (this used to be our nightly passtime) and play 4 player games like Super Smash Bros. each players screen is 32"+ and it can be turned into a drinking game, or a great way to socialize and have fun.

Console gaming used to be popular and then PC gaming came into play and it far exceeded anything you could do on a console... now the tables are turned... the consoles are becoming more powerful, allow for more possibilities and provide a way to interact with others in person... perhaps the statement PC Gaming is dead was incorrect... it should have been PC Gaming is dying.. Console gamers outnumber PC Gamers and with the Xbox 360 and PS3 coming, along with the recent release of the DS and the PSP the interest and popularity is just increasing..

But hey... that's just my opinion.

Peace,
    HT

AFLAAACKKK!!
    PC Gaming appeals to the 13-20 year old guy with no real social skills or no "real" friends
    ...are you implying something towards me...?? ... Well, I recently just got into PC gaming a couple monthes ago... I sure hope I don't turn into what your describing lol...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

...are you implying something towards me...?? ... Well, I recently just got into PC gaming a couple monthes ago... I sure hope I don't turn into what your describing lol...
    Hey Hey,

I don't know anything about you or your age, so I guess I could be...

I look at myself when I started high school.. Duke 3D was huge and I was one of the few people that had a PC that could play it with any decent frame rate.. I was addicted... You had to dial up the other user... Enter the phone number, dial... their Duke3D accepted and then the two of you could play eachother.. My buddy and I would play for 6 or 7 hours a night (minimum) by the end we could tell where the other person was by the sounds the game was making.... and then it lost all meaning.. it was't a challenge anymore.. heh..

I also look at the people in my college program that still game.. the social ineptitude (is that a word?) still applies to them... they game during class, after class and on weekends... They never come out with the rest of us and they never even come to our study sessions, gaming is all that matters.. and some of them invest a lot of money in it..

I just can't see spending money on things like World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy or Everquest... a monthly fee to play a game (on top of buying the game) seems quite ridiculous... and I figure other gamers aren't far off from those people...

That's why I like console games... I can still be addicted (if I start playing Final Fantasy X, I'll play for an entire night)... but I can avoid it or have friends over and play multiplayer games with them... but I can still have the latest and greatest without spending a grand on a new PC every 6 months..

Peace,
    HT

hi
    i am 40 yrs old and i do have life and i play games probably 2-3 hours every day on pc(cable)on weekend probably few hours more.i can not say that my wife is totaly over the moon abut this but it is definitelly entertaining for me(missing on playing when i was small sindrome).
    i have great job and social skills and 2 kids which is probably why i am on pc-they hold their consoles on x-box like their life depend on it/so i come probably with second best.
    spreading on a couch with friends is definitelly appealing together with big screen and so on.
    my personal opinion is that on pc i feel like i am close into the game.recent study shows the biggest gamers are the grope from 30 -40 yrs old(suprise suprise)
    well who have money nowdays 13 yrs old or 40 yrs old giving 100dollars for a game is small fortune for a kids.for me any game i am interested i buy next day it comes out.
    ok getting back to gaming system
    i am seriously considering building new system even my current is very good.
    i was acctually looking today all parts and came with a very good system for around aus1400 without monitor.
    so you have good budget there and its probably personal preference which parts you will pick.most gamers i know opt for amd cpu i believe because they are cheaper (consider spending little more on fans as they run hot when gaming).
    well i tell you that i built a first"GAMING" system 2 years ago and spent 1600 dollars.
    since then with upgrading little bit and getting hooked little bit and upgrading little bit and getting hooled little bit more and now only thing which is left on it from original system is floopy driveNOTHING ELSE.all the orther parts are new everything.
    so bear in mind that pc nowdays are moving forward very fast and games are getting more and more realistic and pc demanding dont get gaming bug because you will start doing like most of us upgrading and upgrading and this doesnt have an end
    .good luck.