Drive Expansion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drive Expansion

Drive Expansion

Hello Everyone,
    I am currently running a Windows 2000 server on a Compaq ProLiant ML350. I need to increase the size of my storage drives in the RAID. We currently have a mirrored capicity of 130GB in logical drive D. I want to expand the size to 600GB. The hardware is available and compatible.
    I don't know how to handle the extension of the existing drive. How do I make Windows increase D:\ to whatever Max size it can understand without destroying all of the informatoin on the drive? Compaq has a utility that will insure that the array controller will handle the hardware. I am looking for a software solution.
    I did check into Norton partition magic. This program is not compatible for a server OS. The Symantec alternative is very expensive. Does anyone know of another solution? Also, does anoyone know the maximum size for a logical drive on Windows 2000 server sp4?

Thank you
    Falcis

you could just set it up as a DFS instead of RAID. you would lose all redundency but it would probably be easier and it would appear as 1 large drive rather than smaller ones and it is a aoftware solution.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Could you give a bit more information on the hardware........like what drives and partitions you are proposing......

Also, is this RAID 5 we are talking about?

Also why run RAID in a partition?.............for it to be any good you need a drive

More information

Sorry for all of the confusion, I just did not know how to correctly explain this. Let me try again.

I have six physical hard drives. 2 - 18gb drives making up the boot portion C:\ and 4 - 72.6gb making up drive D:\ Due to RAID 1 +0, the first two are mirrored and Windows recognizes them as a single 18gb drive, D:\ is recognized as a single 130 GB drive.

I have replaced the 4 - 72.6gb drives with 4 - 300gb drives. After mirroring the drive should be recognized as 600gb. When I go into disk management Windows can see the unused space available. I want to expand D:\ to include the unused space.

These drives show up as separate groups in my array configuration utility. One group of two and another of four. RAID is used to ensure redundancy and these are hot swap drives.

Falcis

Hi falcis

Please have a look at this and the link in it.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...ed_golden.html

D:\ Due to RAID 1 +0, the first two are mirrored and Windows recognizes them as a single 18gb drive, D:\ is recognized as a single 130 GB drive.
    I don't quite follow your configuration................ RAID 1 + 0?

If your 4 drives are RAID 0 then you are using striping, and would have no redundancy and no hot swap capability. If you are expecting 600Gb then it sounds as if you are trying to set up two RAID1 arrays?

With RAID5 and 4 x 300Gb drives you would get 900Gb and could afford to lose one drive.

18Gb and 72.6Gb drives, that sounds like SCSI to me? are you using a hardware or a software RAID controller?

I don't think that your D:\ is a "logical drive" it is a RAID array? which is physical?

thanks nihil, I was confusing the hell out of my self trying to figure this out. lol. But I was thinking along the same lines as you but trying to fit it with what he is saying.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Just Another Geek
    RAID 0+1 is actually quite common.. You use 2 drives as a stipeset (RAID0) then mirror (RAID1) that stripeset to the other 2 drives.. All done using a hardware RAID controller...

I wouldn't use it though.. I'm more inclined to use RAID1 for the OS/programs and a RAID5 for the data..

Probably the safest option to expand your drives is to backup the data.. Reconfigure the RAID and restore the backup.. Might take a while but it's a lot safer this way instead of using something like partition magic..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

SirDice

RAID 0+1 is actually quite common.. You use 2 drives as a stipeset (RAID0) then mirror (RAID1) that stripeset to the other 2 drives.. All done using a hardware RAID controller...
    I have never actually come across that..........1 + 0 yes. You mirror the OS/Applications and stripe the data drives? Not much good if you lose a data drive though as you have no redundancy

I wouldn't use it though.. I'm more inclined to use RAID1 for the OS/programs and a RAID5 for the data..
    Yes, that has to be the most common configuration I have seen and is very popular over here. You can afford to lose one data drive and rebuild the array afterwards. You also get more space for your money.

I think that we need a little bit more information, as the OP did mention "hot swapping"?

Just Another Geek
    You mirror the OS/Applications and stripe the data drives? Not much good if you lose a data drive though as you have no redundancy
    No.. you stripe and mirror the data drives... The OS is on a seperate mirror set. So you would need at least 6 drives.

A picture says more then a 1000 words

AFAIK you're able to hotswap a defective drive. The replaced one will be rebuild using it's mirror.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hah! Gotcha!

That is RAID 10.................................ah! is that what the OP meant? ("1 + 0") maybe I limited my thinking because a lot of stuff only supports 0,1 and 5? That is the economy end of the RAID market

Sure your OS/APPS are effectively RAID 1, then your data are RAID 1 and RAID 0.

In your scenario (RAID 10) I would say that you can hotswap the OS/APPS drives with no problems. The issue would be with the data drives?............you could hotswap the mirrored drives, but you would have to rebuild the striped part of the array?

When you say "6 drives" I am guessing that you are talking the data drive side of the array?

Like mirrored = 2 x 300 + 2 x 300 = 600 total, and the two striped drives are 2 x 300 = 600?

Very interesting!............I have never met anyone who would pay for that