Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hmmm, an ISP wants to hire me.

Hmmm, an ISP wants to hire me.

Today sure has been odd. I woke up and heard the phone ringing. I go answer it and wow, it's my college saying someone from ADVnet DSL wants to meet with me for an interview. I've never put an application in, never been in there, don't know who they are, and then the lady finally says why I'm getting the call :

"One of your professors reffered you to him. He'd like an interview with you".

I've never worked in IT before, never worked at an ISP or in the tech industry, and not only did I not call, but they called ME.... So yea this is odd. I went to ther web site and they are an ISP....

So I'm a little shocked at this. I just sent an email to the dude who wants to meet with me. Anyone else ever just out of the blue get a call from anyone saying this?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I got my latest job offered over the phone, no interview, start Monday.
    I'd sent an application to a different agency, who'd forwarded it to my new boss

If it comes good, take it, put all your BOFH theories into practice

\\foxy makes a note of WHO Gore could be working for - memo to self - ignore ALL threatening mails from THERE
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Well...never received a call for a job out of the blue...but I was fired twice by a company who called me 2-3 days later each time to tell me to get my a@@ back to work...eventually, I quit that job and never heard from them again...guess they didn't like me quitting on them

Eg

I used to get random phone calls back in the day, before the tech bubble burst, but it's been a while.

Go for it, well that's assuming that you want a new job to begin with. I don't think it would hurt to hear them out though as perhaps they have a good benefits package

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

I need the job and the experience in IT. I have no money and no experience working in that so it's cool with me getting it, and an ISP at that. I know how to do things for a job but I've yet to use it at work.

Go for it Pal.

Experience, discounts, interaction with others, sounds like a great spring board to get you going. And of course some coins in the pocket to boot! The interview is important. Don't know how many interviews you have attended, so you might want to brush up a little. But it sounds like you though!

~cheers and good luck~
    Connection refused, try again later.

Congrats to you. Thats a great opportunity. You certainly deserve it. I know you know your stuff... but when you go in for the interview, don't toot your own horn. You've already gotten a recommendation... Be honest, modest, and ask a lot of questions. They will want someone who is interested in the job and what they do. Oh, you might have to get preppy for a couple of hours until you know their dress code.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Oh, you might have to get preppy for a couple of hours until you know their dress code.
    LMAO! Good luck with THAT one haha.. Anyways, good luck man. I hope all goes well and you get what you want out of the job (if you get it hehe).
    Space For Rent.. =]

I'm going to wear Armani. I figure that's dressing for employment. (Hire me I have expensive taste and need the cash).

Excellent choice my friend. Armani tends to make people think they have and/or are worth more money than they are Not only that but it does symbolize taste aswell. Once again, good luck.
    Space For Rent.. =]