Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cloning MAC Addresses

Cloning MAC Addresses

On my schools WI-FI network I want to make one laptop look like another, as I want to use my Thinkpad instead of the issued Dells. I know I need to clone the MAC address of the issued one so the Thinkpad looks like the other. How do I go about doing that and what else would I need to do to make sure that its not easily seen on the network? (I'm not adding it to the domain, I just want internet access) Thanks

Just Another Geek
    You may want to rethink this..

Have you talked to the admins? Maybe they can help you..

What happens if "they" find out you're using something that's not allowed?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Completely Blew me off, all they did was forward the acceptable use policy to me... as for punishment, they ask you not to do it and to ship your computer home. I just got this new system and am sick of the P3 Dells...

Just Another Geek
    Hmm. They asked you not to do it..
    Guess what will happen if you don't follow the rules..
    Is getting expelled a risk you're willing to take?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I'm not worried about the risk as its not an offense that is punishable by anything more than a detention in the rule book. I dont want to use the computer for anything illegal I just want to be able to check my email and send instant messages... And its just annoying to transfer files between 2 computers and I'd rather use the one thats not full of monitoring software, I'd like to keep my personal life personal.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    What we used to do when I was a tech at a school was to 'take over' the users laptop.
    To put an alien machine onto a network is a risk most people won't take but it's not unreasonable for the students to want internet access through the school (we had boarders).

We would reformat and reinstall the student's machine so that it would follow the policies of the network. The pupil would lose admin rights on their machine but would get internet access.

They had to sign away all rights of complaint against the school if we screwed up and they had to reformat their machines themselves when they left.

If you are willing to let your machine be reformatted to the school standard and lose your rights to install what you like the school may let you use your machine. If you are really lucky they might let you dual boot it so you can still run games.

A P3 Dell will still give you internet access if it is allowed though the network so I guess you are tyring to do something the admins don't want you to.

It's probably not worth it, if you are really unlucky your school IT guys will be like Gore and just looking for the chance to screw you for a laugh.

There are several resources on the web for cloning mac addresses.

I'm with SirDice though. Illegal activity or not, violating policy is something I wouldn't recommend. I'm guessing your a student at school. In the work environment, this is a firing offense.
    to SYN, or not to SYN. That is the question. -Shakespeare?

Originally posted here by jhollings
    Completely Blew me off, all they did was forward the acceptable use policy to me... as for punishment, they ask you not to do it and to ship your computer home. I just got this new system and am sick of the P3 Dells...
    Oh the trials and tribulations!

You’ve read the AUP. It’s your future.

-------------------------

I’m on a multi-homed computer right now. On one of the NICs I can set the MAC (TAP-Win32 Adapter). On the other the option does not appear (Intel PRO/100 VE) so it defiantly depends on the adapter you have.

Under network and dial up connections right click on it (the connection you want to change) and select ‘properties’.

Under the ‘general’ tab, below the NIC description, click ‘configure’ then select advanced. If the MAC address is configurable you will see “MAC Address” in the left column. On the right side is a text box in which you can put the address you want to use.

If you don’t see this option get a NIC that’s configurable or swap cards.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    The monitoring software is for your own good though you probably don't believe it. If instant messaging is barred it's to safeguard students from internet grooming.
    The school would be at risk of prosecution if they didn't take safeguards to protect you.

You might not be stupid but other students are and the school has to protect them.

If you need to transfer files why not buy a USB drive (if you are permitted to use them).?

Is there an app I can download?