Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom

Doom

OK, just curious, but why the HELL is there not a forum for Doom and well, OK so I'm joking there but umm, I was just looking around online and.... SOMEONE BEAT DOOM 2 ON NIGHTMARE IN ONE RUN...... How in the **** do you get that????

And another one:

Doom and Doom 2 on Ultra Violence, both games, under 30 minutes??

http://www.doomworld.com/ports/linux_unix.shtml

I'm working on getting Doom to run on Linux. It's the only reason I have XP on my laptop right now.

http://www.gamers.org/docs/FAQ/doomfaq/sect1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom

Speedrunning competition

Main article: Doom speedrunning

"Devoted players have spent years creating speedruns for Doom, competing for the quickest completion times and sharing knowledge about routes through the levels and how to exploit bugs in the Doom engine for shortcuts. Achievements include the completion of both Doom and Doom II on the Ultra-Violence difficulty setting in less than 30 minutes each. In addition, a few players have also managed to complete Doom II in a single run on the Nightmare! difficulty setting, on which monsters are twice as fast and respawn some time after they have been killed (level designer John Romero characterized the idea of such a run with "it's just gotta be impossible!" [4] (http://www.doom2.net/compet-n/index....rs&page=panter)). Movies of most of these runs are available from the COMPET-N website."

... WOW.

So who here has done something awesome in Doom and thinks they have a chance at kicking MY ass in it? I can beat the first section of the original Doom, on Ultra Violence without ONE point of damage.

Doom links and screen shots welcome.

If you hate this game somehow and you're going to reply saying how shitty it was, don't you worry, I have my OWN BOFH BFG9000.

Hrmm.. Doom's a decent game. I do have to say, it would be nice to have either a Gaming Forum or an Online Gaming Forum.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Hey Hey,

Gore, go with lxdoom... I've used it quite a few times in the paste... provide the wad files and you're good to go... it works quite well... mind you it was many moons ago that I used it so one of the others may be better, but I can guarentee that it works..

You're right .. .Doom did kick ass... It was no Duke3D (I like being able to jump) but it was damn good... way better than these modern POS games that sucker people in with all the jazz and flash... there's no need for skill to game anymore... not like back in "the day"

Peace,
    HT

pfffft Quake > Doom

never really got into the whole Doom thing - started of with Quake and just stuck with it
    never got as fanatical about it as trying to do whole thing in under Xmins or anything, would just fire it up and have a blast whenever had a spare minute

Anyone have Final Doom? The very last level is called Go 2 It. I can beat that level in 27 seconds. Par is 30 seconds.

Banned
    It's very admirable that you've trying to be "hard core" w/ playing doom and all ... but seriously dude...

IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON

How you managed to get me trying to be hardcore is beyond me. If it wasn't for Doom first person shooters would be ****. And what game was it that was the first to have true sound?... Ah yes, Doom. If you don't like Doom, why did you reply?

Banned
    It's not that I "don't like doom" it's just that a lot of gamers have an obsessive-compulsive fixation w/ playing "classics" that aren't really that entertaining by today's standards. Doom has its place in gaming history, that's undeniable but trying to beat it over and over and over again, or setting challanges for yourself that aren't even coded in the game (like .. who can go faster throught this and this level) is a waste of time. I do understand this obssesion. Many times I feel compeled to replay the adventures of Dizzy the EGG (google it). I however realized that it's a total waste of time.

You could be

1. Playing a new game (SOCOM 3, BF2)
    2. Working on one of your excelent tutorials (for benefit of humanity)
    3. Run 2 laps around your block to increase your lung capacity.
    4. Arguing w/ us about some obscure geek question (like SUSE rocks duudeee)
    5. Trying to get .... (you know where I'm going w/ this)

Good times dude.... if you like it play it.

unhappy: With that line of thinking, whats the point of the TV? Or leisure time in general? I see what you mean, but it's a slightly messed up way of thinking.

Basically what I'm getting at -- if he enjoys it (or anyone enjoys it) let them do it for their leisure.
    Space For Rent.. =]

I've only had Doom a few months. I hadn't played it before that. It's been a lot less than a year and I'm just now learning how to play it properly. As for new games.... Doom 3, Unreal Tournament, And Quake 4. I don't play games often, and I'm not a gamer, but I play Doom. Like Is aid I've been playing it at most since December. I didn't own it before that. Hell it came out before I ever even had my first PC.