Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heat Problem...

Check this Heatsink/Waterblock Roundup @ Overclockers.com out. They have a CPU die simulator and test some HSF's on that - http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/

But anyways it looks like that Thermaltake can handle the load of your processor. Just pick up some Arctic Silver 5 (AS5 - nihil mentioned it too) and learn how to apply that to the CPU core / HSF. After a couple of cycles of running the computer hard for a good while, leaving it off until it cools, and then running it again, it will set and temps will improve a bit more before they stabalize. It's good stuff.

And what foxy mentions is good advise too. If you're pulling more air out than you're pushing in, your case is essentially under a weak vacum...and it'll try to pull air in from anywhere. Generally this just results in dust trapped in all the nooks and crannies of the computer case, which is a PITA to clean. Balance is key

Cheers.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I know how to apply thermal paste, I don't know what to use to clean the gunk from the thermalpad though... What do you recomend?
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Thermalpads I hear are a PITA. I don't have expirence with them myself.

But I found this stuff (ArctiClean) that looks like it'll work good. Review here. Never used it before since I never had Thermalpads to remove (only AS5 thermal paste, and I just wiped most of that off and reapplied - it's still all AS5 for my purposes).

I hear Isopropyl alcohol and Acetone also work, but the above review claims it doesn't work for thermal pads, and only works on thermal paste...

Yes, I generally use isopropyl alcohol and/or acetone (nail varnish remover), For more serious stuff you could try automobile brake pad cleaner or even Girling brake fluid (does a good job on car paintwork doesn't it? )

I still have tricoethylene 1-1-1, although that is a naughty substance now. And carbon tetrachloride (the old dry cleaning fluid)

Just take your time and apply the solvents with a cotton-bud or q-tip or whatever you guys call those things?

AND MAKE DAMN SURE THAT WHEREVER YOU ARE DOING IT IS WELL VENTILATED!

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Thanks for the tips nihil, I have some isopropyl alcohol for cleaning my printer feed wheels...

I'll probably use a q-tip, what should I expect? Will it kind of just come off with the q-tip? Or will I have to scrub and stuff... I'm sure I don't want to scrub, I want to be as gentle as possible, this thing cost me 200 bucks lol...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Good Afternoon,

Ditto on the Artic Silver and maximum air flow. Dropped my temps from 52 to 40. 12 degrees! However, a mistake I made about a year ago was to use a fan from an old power suppy as an exhaust fan. It sucked up more power than was anticipated and would cause occasional system freezes. We spend eons trying to troubleshoot the cause of the freezes. So make sure you get the right fans.

Hot Dang, you still got some "Trik" Nihil? We used it for cleaning electric motors, contacts, and the like. You can get cancer from that stuff just by reading the label! It's been banned on 3 earths thus far But, thats the greatest stuff ever made -

Folks I need to reiterate what Nihil has said: "...MAKE DAMN SURE THAT WHEREVER YOU ARE DOING IT IS WELL VENTILATED!" Some of the really good solvents will give you a dirt nap real quick if you don't heed that warning.

~cheers~
    Connection refused, try again later.

Hi The Duck

DON'T SCRUB THE PROCESSOR

Tim~ has pointed you to some stuff that should work, although I have never used it. I would just try gently removing any residue from the processor with isopropyl alcohol. If that does not work, try acetone. Then get some of that stuff, although they should have to say what is in it for safety compliance reasons? maybe just check out a bottle in the store?

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Alright, I'll be sure to clean it near an open window lol. I'm going to tiger direct right now to get some thermal paste and the heatsink and fan I brouth up earlier in the thread...

When I was cleaning my printer with the isopropyl alcohol I accidently inhaled a ton of it and got light headed lol... I won't make that mistake again...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Ok, well the tiger direct guy talked me out of buying a new heatsink and fan, saying it wouldn't help those processors much anyway because they run so hot, but because they run so hot intels in general, and especially mine, has a great resistance to heat, and my best bet would be to just move the computer to a cooler room, because my computer is in my room and it's a real hot room... So he said just take the thermal pad gunk off and put some thermal paste on, so I bought the thermal paste they had, he said it was the best one tiger direct has...

So I went home and took the thermal pad gunk off (which was a pain in the ass, I pretty much HAD to scrub it off) and slapped some of the paste on and now my computer runs about 3 degrees hotter... I new the intels had a high resisitance to heat, I just don't want my processor running at 55C, it heats my room up like no other... I actually sweat while using it lol. It looks like I'll have to buy some better stuff at new egg, TD has let me down...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Hello The Duck,

I've had a similar experience with one of my boxes. I tried changing the thermal paste, then adding a case fan to the back, even changing the heatsink and fan. You already are in the right direction for trying to cool it down a few degrees. As far as software temp programs go I don't trust them mainly because most of the boxes I've used that had it installed for one or on the BIOS don't tell you the truth they do guess at it. Usually you can go get a cheap temp probes you know like the ones that have a lcd display and a wire with a temp probe on the end of it, and use it to tell you the temp on your system. Also before you go and buy anything else goto www.crazypc.com and take a look at their cooling products its a whole lot more than what Tigerdirect carrys. Most of those techs to count think 99.98% of the time that you don't use your pc for a very long period of time. Keeping you rig in the coolest room of the house helps along with a fan going will keep you from sweating to death while your trying to play it. Something that you might want to try is if you have a extra hole for a 120mm fan and its just holes try taping a piece of cardboard over it or getting rid of the 80mm, covering the hole for it and using a 120mm instead on the back spot blowing in and the other 120mm out. Maybe even a chipset cooler. You don't have to buy rounded cables either you can make the ones you have rounded with some electrical tape and a hobby knife, and if you have a lot of drives a fan at the top doesn't help you a whole lot seeing that you have the PSU and all of the wire and drives in the way before it even reachs your moterboard.Of course when you try to get your pc cooler most of it is in fact just well researched experimentation. If you just get sick of the noise of the fans there is always watercooling. I hope that I was helpful to you. If you want anymore sites about cooling products like those at crazypc pm me and I will help you out with that. Sorry about the novel of a reply.