Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cloning MAC Addresses

Originally posted here by jhollings
    Is there an app I can download?
    What part of your AUP didn't you understand? At my shop I will tell you once and once only to remove the "non-standard" machine from my wire, if you don't, then I remove it (often not very gently) . Rule one, don't piss-off the admins, they will always win because of the policies in place.

Cheers:
    DjM

Its not barred I just want to use my own system. I'd like the ability to be able to walk by the tech office without having them quote lines from my aim conversations at me. They have no lives and read our aim conversations for entertainment and the lack of privacy is frustrating. I'm not asking for an ethics lesson, I'm asking for a straight answer and I'm sick of being talked down too. Will you please just give me an answer?

Originally posted here by Tedob1

Under network and dial up connections right click on it (the connection you want to change) and select ‘properties’.

Under the ‘general’ tab, below the NIC description, click ‘configure’ then select advanced. If the MAC address is configurable you will see “MAC Address” in the left column. On the right side is a text box in which you can put the address you want to use.

If you don’t see this option get a NIC that’s configurable or swap cards.
    Here's your answer. Yes there is software that can 'spoof' a mac address. No one is talking down to you here it's just that there are many threads here stating that how to hack [insert anything] or do something illegal is not the focus of this forum. If you're worried about other people reading your conversations, download gaim and learn how to use the encryption.

I understand your frustration, but I bet $20 that since the admins are quoting your IM's they're also watching you.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

I could read your aim message no matter what laptop your using. Changing the mac has nothing to do with sniffing the network. If I own the network, I have the authority to sniff it.
    to SYN, or not to SYN. That is the question. -Shakespeare?

Originally posted here by jhollings
    Its not barred I just want to use my own system. I'd like the ability to be able to walk by the tech office without having them quote lines from my aim conversations at me. They have no lives and read our aim conversations for entertainment and the lack of privacy is frustrating. I'm not asking for an ethics lesson, I'm asking for a straight answer and I'm sick of being talked down too. Will you please just give me an answer?
    There are two things you need to understand.

#1. The people here who have warned you about the AUP are not doing so to hear themselves talk, nor are they doing so to 'talk down to you.' They are warning you because you could be setting yourself up for some type of punishment, possibly severe (it is a firing offense here). I am quite sure, as it is fairly standard, that part of that AUP revolves around a consent to monitoring (required since monitoring is a form of wiretap) and by using the network services, you agree to monitoring. Monitoring is necessary to limit/prevent damage from things such as hackers, worms, and virii and is also necessary to shield the school from other things such as legal issues if say one of the students were to be caught running P2P software and sharing copyright protected media.

#2. Many of the people here are also the same type of security professionals that are responsible for managing/admining networks like your school network. You should remember that when you go around asking for ways to circumvent controls that you have already agreed to abide by.

If you are concerned about your private messages being read, I would suggest using an encrypted protocol, assuming it is not against your AUP. Something like gaim with the gaim-encryption plugin would work for this.
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    If you want privacy go find the person you want to talk to and hide in a cave. Don't expect a lot of privacy online especially at school.

No one is talking down to you, they are giving you advice to stay out of trouble. Lots of people in here look on their networks for people who are screwing around and then get them fired.

It's easier in Linux.
    http://whoozoo.co.uk/mac-spoof-linux.htm

Originally posted here by cashmoney
    I could read your aim message no matter what laptop your using. Changing the mac has nothing to do with sniffing the network. If I own the network, I have the authority to sniff it.
    Exactly my point

download gaim and learn how to use the encryption.
    But of course once the admin logs start to fill up with jibberish, no more access for you?
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Or put your messenger on port 443
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Sorry if the last post was harsh, but like everyone else is saying we are trying to keep you out of trouble. Adhere to the AUP. One more thing, make sure encryption does go against the policy. Like my network, only authorized encryption is allowed. Encryption makes it hard for admins to monitor the network if we don't know that it's being used.

To address the admins you refer to, they are acting in an unprofessional manner if they are discussing what is monitored on the net. They do have a boss!
    to SYN, or not to SYN. That is the question. -Shakespeare?

Sorry for my little bitch fest earlier. I'm just frustrated bc I've tried to get information from security people before and the security by secricy is starting to get old. I know this doesnt really apply to this post, but I'm always called "the little hacker" by the security guy here at work (summer job as an IT intern). When in reality I've never broken into a system in my life, nor do I have the desire too. I have 2 more years at boarding school and then am off to college where I plan to major in CS and no one is willing to teach me anything about security bc they just think I'm going to turn into another "script kiddie" that gets them emailed when they port scan their router...