Thread: I Finally Got A Dvd Burner!

I Finally Got A Dvd Burner!

OK so I got my Birthday present early. I was shopping and found a DVD burner :

A Pacific Digital DVD-writer (Looking over it, it supports pretty well every type of DVD out there) and of course it can write out some CDs too.

16 X DVD writing, not bad. It uses USB 2.0 and comes with software and drivers. I love it, so far I've backed up most of my things on my server without a problem.

79 dollars is all it costed and I got home and started looking it over. My main desktop I use daily is a P3 733 MHz, which doesn't met the minimum requirements for it and it runs Windows 98 SE (Wolfesntein, Quake and Doom) and SUSE.

My Laptop runs SUSE and XP.

I plugged it in and XP showed it as being on there and installed some software so I could burn the DVDs. In Linux I popped it on, KDE popped up a new icon, and even though the processor was to slow it worked anyway. Hardware requirements are for XP people anyway.

My MP3 collection won't fit on a dual layer DVD though so I have to split it up a bit. I have 23 gigs of MP3s, 15 of movies and ... Heh.

So yea pretty neat. I wanted external, I don't want to have to worry about not having **** for my laptop because all it has is a DVD-ROM drive and no floppy or CD-Writer. I've been doing the back ups on FTP.

Hey Hey,

Congrats on the burner... I had a 4x sony... and then I got an 8x sony.... I've gotta get a dual-layer in the near future... They are wonderful little devices

You'll soon find that you can't stop burning.. for a couple of weeks straight, I never stopped burning.. it was a great feeling... the first DVD that you burn, is a lot like the first joint you smoke.. the ultimate high that'll never feel quite that way again.

Peace
    HT

congratulation,
    i have dual layer lite on and am quite happy with it.
    check this site maybe you find something usefull or some firmware for it
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/

Nice find gore..

certainly some good toys out there..

now I know why Australia is known as the arse end of the world.. takes so long to import..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Congrats Gore. I recently bumped my internal drive into UDMA mode and it works great (why it reverted to PIO, I'll never know). 16x is fast stuff. 2 hours (1x) into something like 7.5 minutes (16x) Fun stuff

Thanks I just woke up so this may contain typos heh.