Linux Installation

Thread: Linux Installation

Linux Installation

Hi

I have got 2 hdd's. One 40 Gb with a 30 gb primary partition with win 98 and 10 gb logical partition with win xp installed.

The other HDD is a 20 gb with no partitions.

both 98 and xp give different drive letters to my 2nd hdd but it works fine as i have got no installed softwares on it.

I wish to install red hat linux 9 on the second hdd which is my slave drive.

Is it possible and will the dualboot of linux and windows work fine or do i have to install linux on the first hdd.

Please reply soon its urgent.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Yes you can install linux on second hard disk, and i assume you know all about installation too, you have to load GRUB in MBR of master drive and have it configured for this arrangement ( it is easy in latest versions of linux)
    It\'s all about sense of power.

RH9 will find your other OS's during the automatic bootloader configuration and should add it all in for you. If you do have issues keep an XP cd handy, use its "recovery console" to do the following commands:

Fixboot
    Fixmbr

This will re-write the windows boot loader giving you access to Windows XP (and possibly your other windows systems). From here you should be able to do any fixes you need.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    rider_royal you are wrong, he doesn't HAVE to install GRUB to the primary MBR.

MM the suggestion from aCk is valid, be prepared to run an fdisk /mbr from your recovery console.

If you want to continue to use NTLDR on the primary drive, and have GRUB (or lilo, your choice) only launch Linux, check this out. I've used jaeger's stuff quite often, very good How-To:

http://jaeger.morpheus.net/linux/ntldr.php
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

I accept my mistake for saying that he 'has' to install GRUB to primary MBR, but this was considering the situation that it is automatic bootloader configuration, then placing it in primary MBR saves lots of configuration options.

Just Another Geek
    I believe the "safest" option, as most modern BIOSes support this, is to set the BIOS to boot from the second HD. Then install Linux on it. Have it install a bootmanager (lilo/grub) too..

That way, if you screw things up with lilo/grub/linux you can go back into the BIOS to boot from your first disk..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Wow, i didnt think in that way, that is really safest option. gonna use that on my new linuz installation. thnks SirDice

Hi

My touble is that i have phonix bios and bought my pc in 2001 which can set preferences to only one hdd so the preference of the other hdd booting first is out of the question.

is there a way to update my bios ??

thanx for the replies
    do send in more

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by Mystery Man
    is there a way to update my bios ??
    Maybe.. Have a look on the site of your board manufacturer..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Will the GRUB automatically take up the other OS in my other hard drive.

Is 4 Gb enough for the linux installation.