The new PGP

View Poll Results: How many Final Four Teams did you pick?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Who wathces basketball anyways?

1 25.00%
  • 0 - Oof!

0 0%
  • 1 - This Bites!

2 50.00%
  • 2 - 50% Aint Bad!

0 0%
  • 3 - Wooo! Hooo!

0 0%
  • 4 - Not a snowball's chance of anyone believing you!

1 25.00%

Thread: The new PGP

The new PGP

How many of you think that PGP corp. took a great product and screwed it up real good? I have never had this many issues with PGP.

http://www.pgp.com/

Banned
    I don't really care actually. I use GPG ^_^.

I also use GnuPG, but what did they do to PGP to screw it up?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    It's hard to determine what the actual issues are but by reading their site, it appears that they crammed additional features into their product. My guess is this may be where the problems are cropping up.

GnuPG has treated me fine over the years and I continue to use it regularly.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    It's hard to determine what the actual issues are but by reading their site, it appears that they crammed additional features into their product. My guess is this may be where the problems are cropping up.
    eye, you can say that again. and none of the crammed in features seem to have been tested to work with wide array of apps. pretty GUI though.

this all reminds me of microsoft and ms word. word 97 worked fine and was fast. then they kept pumping more and more features on top of something that essensially gives you the base ms word 97 functionality. imo, ms word 2003 has turned into an oversized glutton of a beast.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    I haven't used 9.x yet. Still on 8.1, and while our license allows for an upgrade, our license is from a previous company that was acquired, and I haven't yet seen the upgrade data come through.

8.1 isn't too bad. However, being a big PKI and digital cert company, using PGP (even with the outlook extensions/plugins) is the exception, not the rule. S/MIME and pgp do NOT play well together. So I have it installed, but I configured it to only do things on demand. I use the PGPDisk for file storage, and I encrypt emails (or just the content blurb) as needed with it; I'm not a huge fan of Outlook & Exchange, but with PKI built into your infrastructure, it makes S/MIME encryption/signing/dectyption real easy.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore